ESP8266 + RFM69 Reset loop (rst cause:4, boot mode:(3,7))

• Hi all,

First of all, thank you for the great project that My Sensors is.

I built my first node and gateway system and it worked well for weeks until I added a second mode. At first it worked well, but when I moved the second mode to batteries (vs. power adaptor) the Gateway started to enter in reboot loop.

The strange part is that it works well for some days and then it stops working.

Apparently (but had mixed results when testing), if I switch off all nodes and then reboot the gateway, it resumes working. If the nodes are kept running, gateway enters in reboot loop:

ets Jan 8 2013,rst cause:4, boot mode:(3,7)

After some testing, it seems that sometimes the gateway can catch up with a running node, sometimes it cannot and enter the reboot loop.

Any help will be much appreciated.

• To be clear, you are not trying to run the gateway on batteries, correct?

My first thought is power problems at the gateway. What hardware are you running there? If any sort of SBC, I would also add SD card to the troubleshooting list, as those are 2 most common instability problems, by a large margin.

• Many thanks for the reply!

You are right, I'm not running the gateway on battery. Not sure if it could impact, but I connected the gateway to one of the USB ports on the Raspberry PI running OpenhabianPi.

Gateway runs a Esp8266 Nodemcu V3 (WeMos LoLin) and HopeRF RFM69HCW Wireless Transceiver - 434MHz

After some testing, it seems that the problem occurs when I have the 2nd started before the gateway. As a matter of fact it runs the HopeRF RFM69CW 433Mhz (not HCW). Would that matter?

Thanks!

• What are you powering the RPi with? It needs to be a good quality 2A (or more) supply.

Is this a serial gateway? Was it always attached to RPi, or this is a recent change (that was unclear to me from your statement)?

I don't know about RFM69 model numbers, because I don't use those (I use regular old nRF24). Maybe someone else can answer that?

I haven't used Nodemcu yet (just ordered first ones to play with) but a (quick) Internet search revealed some issues with unstable pin assignments at startup. Could be related?

• No, actually I use the RPi just as power source. The gateway connects to the hub over WiFi.

The RPi is good (the original one). I will try to move to an independent power source just to test.

Thanks for the reply again.

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics