Is it possible to build a Serial Gateway for Domoticz using Nano and ESP8266 module?

• Hi,

I'm trying to install a home automation system in my house, and am using Domoticz as the controller on a Raspberry Pi 2 machine. The server works great, and so far I can control my Wemo switches. Did some research and found out about MySensors. and would like to integrate it into a few rooms in my house.

I have a spare Arduino Nano and a ESP8266 Wifi module that I would like to try with MySensors and Domoticz before I go too far. Was wondering if it is possible to build a serial gateway with this hardware?

Thanks,

• Yes you can. You have to flash a transparent serial firmware for ESP8266 like this one : https://github.com/beckdac/ESP8266-transparent-bridge.
    The challeng is to use only ESP8266 with Arduino IDE and no more Arduino board.

• Awesome, that's good to hear. Is there any tutorials detailing the process by any chance?

And I read the ESP8266 has a MicroController on it but I didn't think it would compete with the Arduino's to take over Gateway instructions.

@drock1985 If you make a serial gateway, wouldn't the nano with NRF be the simplest and quickest? You don't need the wifi for mysensors and the gateway communicate with the nano over the USB. That's how my domoticz run - rpi 2 with serial gateway. Works amazingly well.

• @Moshe-Livne said:

@drock1985 If you make a serial gateway, wouldn't the nano with NRF be the simplest and quickest? You don't need the wifi for mysensors and the gateway communicate with the nano over the USB. That's how my domoticz run - rpi 2 with serial gateway. Works amazingly well.

Yeah, in the end you are right. I decided to order a couple of Nano's and the NRF transceivers to make a gateway and sensors. Quick question though, I have a serial gateway built, minus the NRF module. Is it possible to test out the connection between the gateway and Domoticz, without the NRF transceiver? And if that's the case, is it even possible for me to add a sensor or two to the gateway so that I can do some further testing before the other modules arrive?

Thanks again!

I haven't done this before, but you can hook sensors directly to the gw. Won't do you much good I guess... Just get one more nano and nrf in obnoxious price off your friendly local electronics shop and test all your sensors one by one on it.

• @Moshe-Livne Wish I had a local friendly neighbourhood electronics shop. Only place nearby sells for industrial, not really domestic. Usually on 3 week waits for parts from E-bay or AliExpress just due to cost for projects.

Appreciated the info, will look into it a bit more. Would be nice to at least try to get communication running and a sensor to make sure what I do have right now, will work (did get a few parts, 1 of each minus the NRF to try and test with). Bought the ESP8266 because I thought it would be an easy setup direct to Domoticz or openHab, but MySensors already exists, so it's great. Cant' wait to start fiddling with the code, and seeing what I can come up with.

Thanks again!

@drock1985 if you got it from the link on the store (A+A+A+ or some other funny name) they actually send very quickly. I got mine within a week. But mail from China moves in mysterious ways....
    Remember: Patience comes for those who wait!

• @Moshe-Livne said:

@drock1985 if you got it from the link on the store (A+A+A+ or some other funny name) they actually send very quickly. I got mine within a week. But mail from China moves in mysterious ways....
    Remember: Patience comes for those who wait!

Lol, that's what people always tell me. But how does one with no patience first wait to learn the value of patience 😉

And thanks for the hope at the end of the tunnel, I did go through the links here on the site, crossing fingers 🙂

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics