Gateway or mqtt?

• I have a Raspberry Pi running my HA system (a Hometroller Zee S2, which has Homeseer version 3). It uses z-wave, which can't do some things that I'd really like to do -- so I need to augment it.
    I read (on this forum) that I could use mqtt instead of a gateway. Is this OK? I'm concerned that the 2 systems would be a big load on the cpu.
    Regarding the quantity of devices on my 'completed' system: I figure that I'll have about 10 - 20 z-wave devices, and about 5 - 8 mysensors.
    I'd like to use mqtt because it's more elegant; I believe that the radio (probably an RFM69) would be inside the case, as opposed to gateway+radio plugged in to the usb.

• @Michael_K ,

I think you mean you want to use the Gateway WITH MqTT :)
    https://www.mysensors.org/build/mqtt_gateway

This works very well and I'm using it myself.
    I have the MqTT broker on a raspberry pi.
    And the gateway is an arduino with W5100 ethernet board.

• Hardware Contributor

If you use an mqtt-gateway, you still need a controller for assigning IDs.

I switched from the mqtt-Gateway to a serial gateway and use a node.js script to map it to mqtt.

https://forum.mysensors.org/topic/4599/how-to-add-a-serial-device-to-use-in-node-red/10

(As conrtoller I use node-red.)

• Well, I thought that I had this figured out.

@Nicklas-Starkel
    But, that's an ethernet gateway; don't I need a serial gateway?

@FotoFieber
    I have a controller -- the Raspberry Pi.

Yeah -- I'm just a tad confused. :confused:

This is the post that got me on this concept:
    Advice on how to start my IOT project
    In the first reply, Mikael mentions an alternative setup.

Apparently, I didn't quite understand what he meant there. Please explain.

• @Michael_K ,

If we go from the front to the back this is what is needed:

1 Node: For example a door bell.
    This node sends information to a gateway.
    2 The gateway takes the message from the node and sends this to a controller. For instance Openhab or Domotics. This can be done in several ways. MqTT being one.
    3 Controller: takes the information and displays it to you.

So in my case, I hardcode Node ID and CHILD ID (the complete door bell is a NODE whereas CHILD IDs may be the button pressed and maybe temperature reading at the same time).
    This sends to Gate way that takes the information and creates a MqTT message.
    What this message is, please read the instructions on this site.

Looks like your connection to MySensors Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.