Help, what's my best setup

• So ive had Mysensors setup with Domoticz using a Rpi.3 and serial gateway, and 3 temperature nodes and a doorbell module. Had it going about 6mths really just playing and trying it all out. All so far are really roughly built prototypes with messy cables etc, so its time to get serious..

Now i want to get deeper into setting up my smart home and rebuild a more permanent setup. Really trying to work out the best setup as i want something i can continue to add to without having to start out again etc in future.

I have bought a pile of Sonoff basic wifi switches and i want to add them to my setup, i believe that means reflashing the firmware, and i believe that means using MQTT does it not? Now looking at my setup i have the USB connected serial gateway (ie the mysensors gateway is separate to Pi and connected by usb.)

Now as im happy to restart and build more permanent solution, whats my best solution? Is it to build all parts on the Pi, the gateway, broker and controller all on one Pi? assuming i then need to hook up a radio to the Pi (as its currently on my serial gateway of course).

And how easy is MQTT to setup for a beginner? Do my nodes need rebuilding too i guess?

Thanks

• Mod

If you want to add some basic sonoffs to Domoticz, to me the easiest solution was to flash Tasmota Firmware and follow the guide on their wiki on how to add them to Domoticz via mqtt

• @gohan said in Help, what's my best setup:

If you want to add some basic sonoffs to Domoticz, to me the easiest solution was to flash Tasmota Firmware and follow the guide on their wiki on how to add them to Domoticz via mqtt

Yes that what i thought was my best option, hence im looking at best setup for using MQTT, as i dont have MQTT currently or never used it.. Figure if im restarting i should start with that option.

• Mod

just install moquitto and add a user and password that is pretty much it

• @gohan Can i do that with my current setup? Running a USB connected serial gateway? I figured if i wanted to implement MQTT i would have to build a new gateway. 😕

• Mod

No, you install the mosquitto broker on the rpi3, it will be independent from the mysensors network

• @gohan Oh damn ok, right sunday morning playtime ! Thanks

• Mod

if your compiled sketch is too big, you can comment out the most of the stuff in the file user_config.h under the section "// -- Sensor code selection"

• @gohan Thankyou, i am off to SSH now..

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics