No MY_DEBUGDEVICE.begin ?

• I've been testing a Genuino Zero as a serial gateway. Everything works fine except for the redirection of debug output to the Programming port.

I saw a thread and a pull request which added MY_DEBUGDEVICE to the architecture files, but if I #define MY_DEBUGDEVICE SERIAL my gateway crashes, silently.

I believe this is because there is no 'begin' for MY_DEBUGDEVICE.

When I add one to to relevant architecture file it works fine, with debug output sent as expected to the Programming port.

I'm a bit puzzled how anybody has got this to work without that mod, have I missed something?

Note that adding MY_DEBUGDEVICE.begin into Setup in the sketch is too late - the node crashes before it gets to that point.

• Admin

I think that it's probably because you are the first that use a separate port for debugging..

in hwInit for SAMD architecture, we only initialize the standard serial port (MY_SERIALDEVICE)

https://github.com/mysensors/MySensors/blob/59b15f5824bf060fa153b30065d089b04fff77c7/hal/architecture/SAMD/MyHwSAMD.cpp#L70

• Mod

@fac13 as a workaround, could you try placing MY_DEBUGDEVICE.begin in a function called before() or preHwInit() in your sketch? MySensors will execute them before setup().

• @mfalkvidd I tried both and neither worked - the node still failed to start.

My workaround is to add MY_DEBUGDEVICE initialization in hwInit() in MyHwSAMD.cpp , immediately after the initialization of MY_SERIALDEVICE,

i.e. insert these lines after line #76: -

MY_DEBUGDEVICE.begin(MY_BAUD_RATE);
    #if defined(MY_GATEWAY_SERIAL)
    while (!MY_DEBUGDEVICE) {}
    #endif

Of course if the two devices are the same then MY_SERIALDEVICE gets initialized twice, but doesn't seem to cause a problem.

• fac13 about 2 hours ago

I realized I should have added a wait after the initialization, like this: -

void preHwInit()
    {
    MY_DEBUGDEVICE.begin(115200);
    while(!MY_DEBUGDEVICE){};
    }

With that included, my sketch works without needing the architecture code mod.

Putting the same code in before() doesn't work.

Thanks for your help.

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics