Mosfet for RGB control

• I want to try to build a simple RGB control for my 5050 led-strip

RGB Dimmer Sketch

But in the description it say to use 30V 60A mosfets. But in the parts-list there is a link to: IRFZ44N 49V 55A is this still ok?

I have a couple of STP16NF06 witch ara 60V 16A are they to "weak"?

• @Cliff-Karlsson said:
    You are talking about a 5m 5050 led-strip? AFAIK they are 12V 3A max?
    So each of the 3 n-channel mosfets should be okay. The STP16NF06 has an drain current of about 7A at 5Vgs, according to the datasheet.

• Hardware Contributor

I am doing something (kind of) similar here. I haven't decided exactly what mosfets I will use but I just bought some IRFZ44N which are rated at 49A 55V. I think that should be enough.
    Also take a look at the new S_RGB(W)_LIGHT. I think the old way with 3 S_LIGHT's is a little bit too "hacky".

• Ok I also found an instructables where they used some other component that he claimed to be better then mosfets

"These power IC's are my favorite for switching 12v with 5v. They're designed for automotive use, support PWM, can handle a lot of amps at 12v and they have built in fuses to prevent anything bad from happeneing. If you cross some wires and short them out they'll simply stop conducting until the problem is removed.

http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=BSP75NTAvirtualkey52230000virtualkey522-BSP75NTA

These power ICs have three pins: Source, Drain and In. Mosfets have a Source, Drain and Gate. Just pretend In is Gate and you can use these like mosfets but with less math. T"

link text

Is this the same component? and could I use those in the same way as the regular mosfets?

• "Is this the same component? and could I use those in the same way as the regular mosfets?"

If you are use a 5 meter strip (300 LED and each LED can consume 60mA in "bright white"), you need a MOSFET with ~18A in theory. The IRLL014 has 2.7A which looks like it is not enough. SOT223 is a small size and if you are a beginner it is hard to solder it on a PCB 😉

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics