[SOLVED] Getting "check wires" from serial monitor

• Hey all!

I'm terribly new at this and maybe I have totally misunderstood... I want to connect the MQ-2 (gas sensor) and the SHARP GP2Y1010AU0F (dust sensor) through my Arduino one R3 to a raspberry pi 3B to be used in Home Assistant (https://home-assistant.io).

I have used both of these separately and together outputting their data through the serial monitor and it works great. But when I try using any examples from MySensors the output from the serial monitor is always "check wires". I have tried going through the FAQ and the forum to no avail. Can anybody nudge me in the right direction?

Thanks!

• The "check wires" message appears if no NRF24L01+ is connected, or if the connections between Arduino and NRF24L01+ is wrong.
    In that case you should check these wires / connections 🙂

As I have no experience with other antenna's that could be used here my knowledge of this is limited to the NRF24L01+....

BR,

Boozz

• Aaaah, thanks for the quick reply! But I dont want a radio connection. I just want to use the USB directly to the rpi. What to do?

• @843

uuuhm, maybe remove the mysensors part?

All examples here are made for the wireless network MySensors is made for, so (unless I completely misunderstood your initial question) you'd take the part that handles the MQ-2 and SHARP sensors from the examples and use it in your own sketch.

BR,

Boozz

• Admin

Remove the #define MY_RADIO_xxx

and add

#define MY_GATEWAY_SERIAL

(if you want to create a serial gateway communicating with HomeAssistant)

• @hek

Thanks for your reply! I was looking for something like that, but I can't get it to work.

Here is the code (i have just combined the MQ and SHARP examples from the MySensors lib)

/*
      Vera Arduino MQ2

connect the MQ2 sensor as follows :

A H A   >>> 5V
      B		  >>> A0
      H       >>> GND
      B       >>> 10K ohm >>> GND

Contribution: epierre
      Based on http://sandboxelectronics.com/?p=165

License: Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported (CC BY-NC-SA 3.0)

Modified by HEK to work in 1.4
    */

/*
      Arduino Dust Sensor

connect the sensor as follows :

VCC       >>> 5V
      A         >>> A0
      GND       >>> GND

Based on: http://www.dfrobot.com/wiki/index.php/Sharp_GP2Y1010AU 
      Authors: Cyrille Médard de Chardon (serialC), Christophe Trefois (Trefex)
      Contribution: epierre
      COnverted to 1.4 by Henrik Ekblad

The dust sensor used (see purchase guide for latest link):
      http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?icep_ff3=2&pub=5575069610&toolid=10001&campid=5337433187&customid=&icep_item=171259125886&ipn=psmain&icep_vectorid=229466&kwid=902099&mtid=824&kw=lg

*/

//#define MY_GATEWAY_SERIAL

#include <MyConfig.h>
    #include <MySensor.h>
    #include <SPI.h>
    #include <Wire.h>

#define CHILD_ID_DUST 1
    #define CHILD_ID_MQ 2 

/************************Hardware Related Macros************************************/
    #define         DUST_SENSOR_ANALOG_PIN       (A1)

#define 	MQ_SENSOR_ANALOG_PIN         (A0)  //define which analog input channel you are going to use
    #define         RL_VALUE                     (5)     //define the load resistance on the board, in kilo ohms
    #define         RO_CLEAN_AIR_FACTOR          (9.83)  //RO_CLEAR_AIR_FACTOR=(Sensor resistance in clean air)/RO,
                                                         //which is derived from the chart in datasheet
    /***********************Software Related Macros************************************/
    #define         CALIBARAION_SAMPLE_TIMES     (50)    //define how many samples you are going to take in the calibration phase
    #define         CALIBRATION_SAMPLE_INTERVAL  (500)   //define the time interal(in milisecond) between each samples in the
                                                         //cablibration phase
    #define         READ_SAMPLE_INTERVAL         (50)    //define how many samples you are going to take in normal operation
    #define         READ_SAMPLE_TIMES            (5)     //define the time interal(in milisecond) between each samples in 
                                                         //normal operation
    /**********************Application Related Macros**********************************/
    #define         GAS_LPG                      (0)
    #define         GAS_CO                       (1)
    #define         GAS_SMOKE                    (2)
    /*****************************Globals***********************************************/

unsigned long SLEEP_TIME = 30000; // Sleep time between reads (in milliseconds)
    //VARIABLES
    float Ro = 10000.0;    // this has to be tuned 10K Ohm
    int val = 0;           // variable to store the value coming from the sensor
    float valMQ = 0.0;
    float lastMQ = 0.0;
    float LPGCurve[3]  =  {2.3,0.21,-0.47};   //two points are taken from the curve. 
                                                        //with these two points, a line is formed which is "approximately equivalent"
                                                        //to the original curve. 
                                                        //data format:{ x, y, slope}; point1: (lg200, 0.21), point2: (lg10000, -0.59) 
    float COCurve[3]  =  {2.3,0.72,-0.34};    //two points are taken from the curve. 
                                                        //to the original curve.
                                                        //data format:{ x, y, slope}; point1: (lg200, 0.72), point2: (lg10000,  0.15) 
    float SmokeCurve[3] ={2.3,0.53,-0.44};    //two points are taken from the curve. 
                                                        //to the original curve.
                                                        //data format:{ x, y, slope}; point1: (lg200, 0.53), point2:(lg10000,-0.22)                                                     

int val2 = 0;           // variable to store the value coming from the sensor
    float valDUST =0.0;
    float lastDUST =0.0;
    int samplingTime = 280;
    int deltaTime = 40;
    int sleepTime = 9680;
    float voMeasured = 0;
    float calcVoltage = 0;
    float dustDensity = 0;

MySensor gw;

MyMessage dustMsg(CHILD_ID_DUST, V_LEVEL);

MyMessage msg(CHILD_ID_MQ, V_LEVEL);

void setup()  
    { 

while (!Serial) {
        ; // wait for serial port to connect. Needed for native USB port only
      }

gw.begin();

// Send the sketch version information to the gateway and Controller
      gw.sendSketchInfo("Multi Air Quality Sensor", "1.0");

// Register all sensors to gateway (they will be created as child devices)
      gw.present(CHILD_ID_DUST, S_DUST);

gw.present(CHILD_ID_MQ, S_AIR_QUALITY);  

Ro = MQCalibration(MQ_SENSOR_ANALOG_PIN);         //Calibrating the sensor. Please make sure the sensor is in clean air 

//when you perform the calibration  

}

void loop()      
    {     

uint16_t valMQ = MQGetGasPercentage(MQRead(MQ_SENSOR_ANALOG_PIN)/Ro,GAS_CO);
      Serial.println(val);

Serial.print("LPG:"); 
       Serial.print(MQGetGasPercentage(MQRead(MQ_SENSOR_ANALOG_PIN)/Ro,GAS_LPG) );
       Serial.print( "ppm" );
       Serial.print("    ");   
       Serial.print("CO:"); 
       Serial.print(MQGetGasPercentage(MQRead(MQ_SENSOR_ANALOG_PIN)/Ro,GAS_CO) );
       Serial.print( "ppm" );
       Serial.print("    ");   
       Serial.print("SMOKE:"); 
       Serial.print(MQGetGasPercentage(MQRead(MQ_SENSOR_ANALOG_PIN)/Ro,GAS_SMOKE) );
       Serial.print( "ppm" );
       Serial.print("\n");

if (valMQ != lastMQ) {
          gw.send(msg.set((int)ceil(valMQ)));
          lastMQ = ceil(valMQ);
      }

//gw.sleep(SLEEP_TIME);

uint16_t voMeasured = analogRead(DUST_SENSOR_ANALOG_PIN);// Get DUST value

// 0 - 5V mapped to 0 - 1023 integer values
      // recover voltage
      calcVoltage = voMeasured * (5.0 / 1024.0);

// linear eqaution taken from http://www.howmuchsnow.com/arduino/airquality/
      // Chris Nafis (c) 2012
      dustDensity = (0.17 * calcVoltage - 0.1)*1000;

Serial.print("Raw Signal Value (0-1023): ");
      Serial.print(voMeasured);

Serial.print(" - Voltage: ");
      Serial.print(calcVoltage);

Serial.print(" - Dust Density: ");
      Serial.println(dustDensity); // unit: ug/m3

if (ceil(dustDensity) != lastDUST) {
          gw.send(dustMsg.set((int)ceil(dustDensity)));
          lastDUST = ceil(dustDensity);
      }

gw.sleep(SLEEP_TIME); //sleep for: sleepTime 
    }

/****************** MQResistanceCalculation ****************************************
    Input:   raw_adc - raw value read from adc, which represents the voltage
    Output:  the calculated sensor resistance
    Remarks: The sensor and the load resistor forms a voltage divider. Given the voltage
             across the load resistor and its resistance, the resistance of the sensor
             could be derived.
    ************************************************************************************/ 
    float MQResistanceCalculation(int raw_adc)
    {
      return ( ((float)RL_VALUE*(1023-raw_adc)/raw_adc));
    }

/***************************** MQCalibration ****************************************
    Input:   mq_pin - analog channel
    Output:  Ro of the sensor
    Remarks: This function assumes that the sensor is in clean air. It use  
             MQResistanceCalculation to calculates the sensor resistance in clean air 
             and then divides it with RO_CLEAN_AIR_FACTOR. RO_CLEAN_AIR_FACTOR is about 
             10, which differs slightly between different sensors.
    ************************************************************************************/ 
    float MQCalibration(int mq_pin)
    {
      int i;
      float val=0;

for (i=0;i<CALIBARAION_SAMPLE_TIMES;i++) {            //take multiple samples
        val += MQResistanceCalculation(analogRead(mq_pin));
        delay(CALIBRATION_SAMPLE_INTERVAL);
      }
      val = val/CALIBARAION_SAMPLE_TIMES;                   //calculate the average value

val = val/RO_CLEAN_AIR_FACTOR;                        //divided by RO_CLEAN_AIR_FACTOR yields the Ro 
                                                            //according to the chart in the datasheet 

return val; 
    }
    /*****************************  MQRead *********************************************
    Input:   mq_pin - analog channel
    Output:  Rs of the sensor
    Remarks: This function use MQResistanceCalculation to caculate the sensor resistenc (Rs).
             The Rs changes as the sensor is in the different consentration of the target
             gas. The sample times and the time interval between samples could be configured
             by changing the definition of the macros.
    float MQRead(int mq_pin)
    {
      int i;
      float rs=0;

for (i=0;i<READ_SAMPLE_TIMES;i++) {
        rs += MQResistanceCalculation(analogRead(mq_pin));
        delay(READ_SAMPLE_INTERVAL);
      }

rs = rs/READ_SAMPLE_TIMES;

return rs;  
    }

/*****************************  MQGetGasPercentage **********************************
    Input:   rs_ro_ratio - Rs divided by Ro
             gas_id      - target gas type
    Output:  ppm of the target gas
    Remarks: This function passes different curves to the MQGetPercentage function which 
             calculates the ppm (parts per million) of the target gas.
    int MQGetGasPercentage(float rs_ro_ratio, int gas_id)
    {
      if ( gas_id == GAS_LPG ) {
         return MQGetPercentage(rs_ro_ratio,LPGCurve);
      } else if ( gas_id == GAS_CO ) {
         return MQGetPercentage(rs_ro_ratio,COCurve);
      } else if ( gas_id == GAS_SMOKE ) {
         return MQGetPercentage(rs_ro_ratio,SmokeCurve);
      }    

return 0;
    }

/*****************************  MQGetPercentage **********************************
    Input:   rs_ro_ratio - Rs divided by Ro
             pcurve      - pointer to the curve of the target gas
    Output:  ppm of the target gas
    Remarks: By using the slope and a point of the line. The x(logarithmic value of ppm) 
             of the line could be derived if y(rs_ro_ratio) is provided. As it is a 
             logarithmic coordinate, power of 10 is used to convert the result to non-logarithmic 
             value.
    int  MQGetPercentage(float rs_ro_ratio, float *pcurve)
    {
      return (pow(10,( ((log(rs_ro_ratio)-pcurve[1])/pcurve[2]) + pcurve[0])));
    }

The only output I'm getting is still just "check wires".

• Admin

It seems that you are not using mysensors 2.0.

If I remember right, the ability to add sensors directly on the GW was first introduced in that release

• @tbowmo

Nice! It worked, its sending data now, but all i get is this. (maybe the problem here is on the HA side)

16-09-08 19:56:11 WARNING (Thread-2) [mysensors.mysensors] Error decoding message from gateway, bad data received: Sending initial value

16-09-08 19:56:11 WARNING (Thread-2) [mysensors.mysensors] Node 0 is unknown
    16-09-08 19:56:11 WARNING (Thread-2) [mysensors.mysensors] Error decoding message from gateway, bad data received: Requesting initial value from controller

16-09-08 19:56:13 WARNING (Thread-2) [mysensors.mysensors] Error decoding message from gateway, bad data received: 156.33 ug/m3

16-09-08 19:56:13 WARNING (Thread-2) [mysensors.mysensors] Node 0 is unknown
    16-09-08 19:56:14 WARNING (Thread-2) [mysensors.mysensors] Error decoding message from gateway, bad data received: LPG: 0ppm    CO: 0ppm    SMOKE: 0ppm

• My mistake! I didn't actually run the presentation code. So I just moved

present(CHILD_ID_DUST, S_DUST); 
    present(CHILD_ID_MQ, S_AIR_QUALITY);

to within

void setup()  

and now everything shows up in HA 🙂

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics