Relaying node

• If i dont use a controller and want to test/use a relaying node is it enough then to use the default sketch and only give it a static id like : gw.begin(5);
    I ask this because it does not work for me. For example a motion sensor always talks direct to the controller (Or not if to far away)
    So is it possible without controller to work and how?

• Admin

The examples defaults to talk to the controller. But you can always change them to talk to another node.
    You must describe what you try to achieve a little more for me to be able to help you.

A relaying node and a sensor should me enough of you only want them to talk to each other.

• Hek,

I have a gateway node this is 0 (nano) which talks to a motion sensor with static id 2. This works good but placed further away it misses sometimes data. So i though i make a relaying node, default sketch and set static id to 3. But i think i have to do more because the sensor (2) does not talk to the relaying node (3) but direct to the gateway if possible.

• I'm having the same issue using a controller with auto IDs.

I've placed a relay node in a reliable location with a binary switch attached. The binary switch allows me to verify that the relay node is connecting to the gateway reliably. I have a sensor node in a location that cannot reach the gateway directly but is only one meter away from the relay node. The sensor node still cannot connect (ack timeout). I've tried rebooting the sensor node, re-including the sensor node, and explicitly setting the sensor node's parent ID to the ID of the relay node.

Is anyone using a relay node successfully?

Any insight or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. My wife has become quite attached to our Faraday's Cage, so I don't expect we'll be moving anytime soon.

• Admin

It takes 20 communication misses until a node tries to find a new parent/relay node.
    How did you set parent node explicitly?

It was a while ago I personally tried relaying functionality (on 1.3) but several people is using it successfully.

• Thanks for the info Hek. I'm glad to hear it's working successfully for others...and my attempts aren't futile.

Perhaps I didn't wait long enough to have the sensor node find a new parent. I'll try it again and see what happens after 20 attempts.

I explicitly set the "id_parent" within the Vera interface to see if I could force the sensor node to connect to the relay node. It's one of those things where I didn't expect it to work, but gave it a shot anyway for lack of any better ideas.

• Is this 20 communication misses still valid in the 1.4 framework? If it is could this could value be variable controlled via a #define variable in future releases? I move my sensors around and to always wait for 20 communication failures on sensor that poll once an hour is painful.

Thanks

• Admin

@lininger

No. it is only 5 misses now.

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics