Error flashing bootloader to atmega328p au board I design

• Hi
    I design this board (schematic and pcb pics):
    myboard.png
    mydesign.png
    20151207_072430.jpg
    I bought atmega328p au from here:
    link text
    I solder all components and check and everything seems connected right.
    Then I tried to programme the chip with bootloader(as you see in the pics there is spi connector) using USBASP V2.0:
    UsbAspCableNewer2275.jpg
    I added to boards.txt the following section:

##############################################################

int.name=Arduino int

int.upload.tool=avrdude
    int.upload.protocol=arduino

int.bootloader.tool=avrdude
    int.bootloader.unlock_bits=0x3F
    int.bootloader.lock_bits=0x0F

int.build.board=AVR_PRO
    int.build.core=arduino
    int.build.variant=eightanaloginputs

Arduino int internal clock (3.3V, 8 MHz) w/ ATmega328

--------------------------------------------------

int.menu.cpu.8MHzatmega328=ATmega328 (3.3V, 8 MHz)

int.menu.cpu.8MHzatmega328.upload.maximum_size=30720
    int.menu.cpu.8MHzatmega328.upload.maximum_data_size=2048
    int.menu.cpu.8MHzatmega328.upload.speed=57600

int.menu.cpu.8MHzatmega328.bootloader.low_fuses=0xE2
    int.menu.cpu.8MHzatmega328.bootloader.high_fuses=0xDA
    int.menu.cpu.8MHzatmega328.bootloader.extended_fuses=0x05
    int.menu.cpu.8MHzatmega328.bootloader.file=atmega/ATmegaBOOT_168_atmega328_pro_8MHz.hex

int.menu.cpu.8MHzatmega328.build.mcu=atmega328p
    int.menu.cpu.8MHzatmega328.build.f_cpu=8000000L

and from Arduino IDE I tried to burn bootloader and got this output:

avrdude: Version 6.0.1, compiled on Apr 15 2015 at 19:59:58
         Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
         Copyright (c) 2007-2009 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port                    : usb
         Using Programmer              : usbasp
         AVR Part                      : ATmega328P
         Chip Erase delay              : 9000 us
         PAGEL                         : PD7
         BS2                           : PC2
         RESET disposition             : dedicated
         RETRY pulse                   : SCK
         serial program mode           : yes
         parallel program mode         : yes
         Timeout                       : 200
         StabDelay                     : 100
         CmdexeDelay                   : 25
         SyncLoops                     : 32
         ByteDelay                     : 0
         PollIndex                     : 3
         PollValue                     : 0x53
         Memory Detail                 :

Block Poll               Page                       Polled
           Memory Type Mode Delay Size  Indx Paged  Size   Size #Pages MinW  MaxW   ReadBack
           ----------- ---- ----- ----- ---- ------ ------ ---- ------ ----- ----- ---------
           eeprom        65    20     4    0 no       1024    4      0  3600  3600 0xff 0xff
           flash         65     6   128    0 yes     32768  128    256  4500  4500 0xff 0xff
           lfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  4500  4500 0x00 0x00
           hfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  4500  4500 0x00 0x00
           efuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  4500  4500 0x00 0x00
           lock           0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  4500  4500 0x00 0x00
           calibration    0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0     0     0 0x00 0x00
           signature      0     0     0    0 no          3    0      0     0     0 0x00 0x00

Programmer Type : usbasp
         Description     : USBasp, http://www.fischl.de/usbasp/

avrdude: auto set sck period (because given equals null)
    avrdude: warning: cannot set sck period. please check for usbasp firmware update.
    avrdude: error: programm enable: target doesn't answer. 1 
    avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
             Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
         this check.

avrdude done.  Thank you.

Error while burning bootloader.

Am I at the right direction and should focus on checking my soldering or I burning firmware the wrong way?
    the chip is without any bootloader and I don't know what is his "factory" state. also I want to drive this board without an external clock and only with internal 8mhz clock (does the boards.txt fit to this?)

I will be happy to have some help here because I banging my head on this for days...

• Hardware Contributor

@Mickey Nice board ! Just a question: why did you add the 56K (R1) ?
    The schematic does not show U3, is the schematic complete ?

• Hardware Contributor

hi.
    the factory state for chip is Internal RC 1Mhz. So be careful, when you set the fuses to not set External fuses ON if you have no crystal onboard. because you will need one then 😉
    Did you program the fuses with avrdude or avrdudess? and then upload your bootloader with arduino ide...or do you try to change fuses with arduino ide?

• @scalz said:

hi.
    the factory state for chip is Internal RC 1Mhz. So be careful, when you set the fuses to not set External fuses ON if you have no crystal onboard. because you will need one then 😉
    Did you program the fuses with avrdude or avrdudess? and then upload your bootloader with arduino ide...or do you try to change fuses with arduino ide?

The only thing I tried is what I wrote. I didnt try to mess with fuses. Isnt boards.txt implies that the fuses changed also by trying to bootloader burn?
    Any way if I want to program this chip what are the fuses state to change? I would like 8mhz internal...

• @GertSanders said:

@Mickey Nice board ! Just a question: why did you add the 56K (R1) ?
    The schematic does not show U3, is the schematic complete ?

U3 is not relevant to topic but yes the schematic is short u3 which is ADXL345
    Also I used 56k because I didnt find 47k in my stock...(is it a problem?)

• Hardware Contributor

@Mickey I'm just wondering why you would need a pull up of 56K, since the internal pullup resistor of those pins in the atmega328 is about the same value (somewhere between 30K and 50K according to datasheet). I see no need for R1.

• @GertSanders said:

@Mickey I'm just wondering why you would need a pull up of 56K, since the internal pullup resistor of those pins in the atmega328 is about the same value (somewhere between 30K and 50K according to datasheet). I see no need to R1.

When I design the board I use the sensebender micro as reference. I did ask my self is it really needed but Deside to go with that but its not part of the problem...

• Hardware Contributor

@Mickey Correct, if electrically your board is OK, and you do not have a spare working Arduino board, you will need to use an AVR programmer to flash the bootloader.

• @GertSanders said:

@Mickey Correct, if electrically your board is OK, and you do not have a spare working Arduino board, you will need to use an AVR programmer to flash the bootloader.

What is correct? I use an Avr programmer - Usbasp as I mention . I have a few working arduinos is it better to use them as a programmer? Can you tell me what values should I need to the fueses?

• Hardware Contributor

@Mickey As I do not have a AVR programmer, I flash my processors with my old Arduino. The fuses I use are the same I have in one of the earlier messages.

For me, the easiest way to work was to extend the sketch made by GAMMON (Atmega_Board_Programmer), but how I changed that sketch is a bit complicated to explain in a mail. I basically converted my bootloader HEX file into an ascii string, which I added in a '.h' file to his sketch. Then I hacked his code so that when I choose atmega328 I get my boatloader, instead of the default.

GAMMON's sketch also reprograms the fuses.

In his sketch I started with this change:

//#define USE_ATMEGA168 true
    //#define USE_ATMEGA328P_8M true
    #define USE_ATMEGA328P_8Mi true
    //#define USE_ATMEGA328P true

another piece of code I changed was this:
    // ATmega328P
    { { 0x1E, 0x95, 0x0F },
    0x7E00, // start address
    #if USE_ATMEGA328P_8Mi
    optiboot_atmega328_8Mhz_B0_hex, // loader image
    sizeof optiboot_atmega328_8Mhz_B0_hex,
    // 0xE2, // fuse low byte: internal clock, max start-up time
    0xFF, // fuse low byte: external clock, max start-up time
    0xDE, // fuse high byte: SPI enable, boot into bootloader, 512 byte bootloader
    0x07, // fuse extended byte: brown-out detection off
    #else
    atmega328_optiboot,
    sizeof atmega328_optiboot,
    0xFF, // fuse low byte: external clock, max start-up time
    0xDE, // fuse high byte: SPI enable, boot into bootloader, 512 byte bootloader
    0x05, // fuse extended byte: brown-out detection at 2.7V
    #endif
    0x2F
    }, // lock bits: SPM is not allowed to write to the Boot Loader section.

I also added the attached '.h' file to his sketch:
    optiboot_atmega328p_8M_B0.h

For me this is the fastest and most reliable way to flash my processors.

• Hardware Contributor

@Mickey: I think you have to change fuses. What I usually do is:

• program fuses with : avrdudess+usbasp.
      you can check your fuse here: http://www.engbedded.com/fusecalc/
    • Then copy atmega boards files, and you can use arduino ide to upload your bootloader, still with usbasp of course.
    • Finally, you can bootload with ftdi.

But, adding atmega board files doesn't reprogram the fuses if I remember right. If it doesn't work like I explained, then maybe hardware connection..

On my side, I prefer usbasp/avrspi. it's very easy too, I think 😃 most important is that it works 😉

• @scalz said:

@Mickey: I think you have to change fuses. What I usually do is:

• program fuses with : avrdudess+usbasp.
      you can check your fuse here: http://www.engbedded.com/fusecalc/
    • Then copy atmega boards files, and you can use arduino ide to upload your bootloader, still with usbasp of course.
    • Finally, you can bootload with ftdi.

But, adding atmega board files doesn't reprogram the fuses if I remember right. If it doesn't work like I explained, then maybe hardware connection..

On my side, I prefer usbasp/avrspi. it's very easy too, I think 😃 most important is that it works 😉

Hi
    How can I change fuses if the avr programmer doesn't even detect the chip? when I run

avrdude -b 19200 -c usbasp -p m328p -v

I get

cmd.png

• Hardware Contributor

Double check the connections. If the programmer does not see your processor, there is not much more that can be done on the software side. First check hardware again.

@Mickey Maybe you need to disconnect the radio. I am not able to use SPI programming with the radio connected...

• @AWI said:

@Mickey Maybe you need to disconnect the radio. I am not able to use SPI programming with the radio connected...

I also thought that but I made another board without the radio with the same error.
    I needed a fast way to figure it out so I desolder the atmega from an old arduino nano board but before I did it I read the fuses and got this:
    nanofuses.png

then I soldered the virgin series I have and read the fuses:

virginfuses.png

so first of all It appears that I need the chips first hook up to an external clock just to be able to read the fuses and then change them.

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics