Can't program arduino with NRF connected

• I have connected a NRF to my arduino. But when the vcc and gnd are conneccted to the NRF i can't program the arduino anymore. When i remove the vcc or gnd it works fine. After reconnecting the wires again i can read from the serial and the sensor is working fine, but programming doesn't.

The arduino and nrf uses around 20mA constant with my test sketch which is sending every 5 seconds.

the error from arduino IDE:

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x85
    avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xa7
    avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xa7
    avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xa4
    avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x84
    avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x85
    avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x84
    avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x86
    avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x86
    avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x84

• Admin

@Sweebee

Are you using ISP or UART to upload the new sketch?

• Just a normal FTDI basic.

• Admin

Have you checked VCC on both radio and arduino?

Could you try and power down the radio in between transmits? (gw.sleep() method) and check power consumption when it's not transmitting?

• In sleep its using 1,68mA. powerLED is still on the arduino.

Tried to give it some external power. So I connected 12V to the raw input. But now the NRF is dead. :S really don't know whats going wrong.

There is coming 10V out of the Vcc when i connected 12V to the RAW.

I had bad experiences with Pro mini clones --- 12V is the absolute maximum that their on-board regulator support, and even not crossing the 12V frontier, they get very hot when near by it.

I fried some arduinos / radios before learning it properly πŸ˜‰ The first sympthon is the high voltage (also high current) on VCC (sometimes only the radio fry, as the arduino chip is a bit less sensible ).

So if you are not using real/good arduinos, avoid to power via 12V. I use cheap mobile phone (USB) charges providing 5V to arduino, and a 3V3 stepdown in Radio.

• normally i don't use the raw input. Or if i do i use 5V. But i'm making a 12V led strip dimmer.

Threw the arduino and nrf away and took new ones and they are working fine πŸ™‚

Yes, I was referring to 12V on raw. At least to me it was enough to fry some arduinos / radios...

• @rvendrame well, for the price i could burn one once in a while πŸ˜›

But i guess there must be something wrong even before i put 12v on the raw input. I made like 10 sensors now and never had this before that i couldn't upload a sketch with the nrf connected.

Right, probably that arduino was already damaged even before the 12V... But I would keep an eye on that 12V --- As I really didn't a good experience with that.

• today i burned a second regulator on a 5V pro mini. I use a car 5V adapter now, but its quite large :P. Any1 experience with good 5V regulators that can handle 12V?

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics