Gateway Not Working

Please bear with me here, i'm new to Arduino and not sure where to begin. i finally got all the bits and pieces for my Vera Ethernet Gateway, got them assembled and wiring double checked. I've compiled and uploaded to a Arduino Nano. I've modified the IP address to my network (192.168.15.118) and the Port to 80 for simplicity. When I connect it all up and PING it I get no response so obviously something is wrong.

Results of the compile/upload are attached. Can someone look at this and point me to a resolution?

Thanks.

John
    ethernetgateway_compile.txt

It has just occurred to me that perhaps the gateway code doesn't respond to Ping so I may have gone down the wrong path to start with 🙂

So here's where I am after several more hours of fiddling ... nowhere. Results the same as before. I've recompiled the gateway using 192.168.15.118:5001 and uploaded it to the Nano. Compile results exactly the same as before. Vera reports
    "Lua Failure" and "MySensors plugin: Cannot send command - communications failure.

I've triple checked the connections so I'm confident that's not the problem. I have power to both the Nano and the Ethernet shield and the Nano has a Red LED on solid, slow flashing green LED. My router is no detecting the IP address or MAC for the device so something is clearly gone South.

• Admin

I see the following line last in your logfile:

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00

This means that nothing has been uploaded to your Arduino. Please check your Tools->Board and Tools->Processor setting.

Oh, OK, thanks much. Hopefully I'll get a handle on this soon.

Well, some progress anyway. The USB driver had failed to install properly. I uninstalled it and did a scan for changes, it found the device and properly installed the device driver at COM6.

I recompiled with that setting and Nano w/ ATMega328 as the device. It says the upload completed properly (this time the Tx/Rx LEDs on the Nano were flashing).

I can see LAN traffic coming TO the device on the Ethernet connector but nothing going out.

But I still get communications failure so obviously I have another problem.

BTW is PING supported on the Ethernet side?

• Admin

@clippermiami

I don't think the Ethernet library answers ping messages by default.
    Instead you have to connect with telnet (or like) to the ip/port..

@hek Well, I cannot get a Telnet connection so there is a basic flaw somewhere. My router normally sees the IP/MAC of any device that comes up on the LAN and it doesn't report 192.168.15.118 or the default MAC DEADBEEFFED so I'm not getting anything at this point. So, back to the drawing board. I'll try recompiling and upload again maybe that will help. I've triple checked the wiring, I see LAN activity at the Ethernet connector socket, I have power on the Arduino and the Ethernet. I suppose I could have a defective Nano or Ethernet but at this point I have no way to change one out.

I've tried all the "obvious" solutions (re-compiling, rewiring, etc) so I've ordered another Ethernet shield so see if that's the problem.

• Admin

@clippermiami

What does the Arduino IDE serial log say when you connect the gateway to a computer?

There is very limited program space on the Arduino which means that full MySensors debug prints unfortunately not can be enabled when running the Ethernet sketch (at least for the ENJ-model).

But nothing stops you rom creating your own debug print Serial.println("xxx") at strategic places in your sketch to see what is happening.

@hek Regrettably I'm not far enough along in my understanding of Arduino as t yet to know how to do that. I readily admit to trying to get something working bootstrapping off someone else's work 🙂 Once I have this going I will have further incentive to dig deeper ... In the meantime I have to puzzle through it although I'm beginning to rethink that approach 🙂

• Admin

You got a Vera right?

Could you perhaps try the SerialGateway instead (where you can do some debugging)? And when you get it working switch to the Ethernet version?

Look here on how to enable debugging:
    http://www.mysensors.org/build/debug

@hek That's an idea worth exploring 🙂

Thanks further link, I've got another Ethernet adapter arriving tomorrow so depending on when get time to fiddle again may try the new Ethernet fitter failing that revert the serial. Thanks for your patience

• Just FYI - I am using one of the ethernet shields like this one: ENC28J60(one of the "HAN RUN" cheap cards - my serial number on the part is the same, the "date code" looking number is different, though). What I found through trial and error was that when I was using the radio AND the ethernet shield, my 3.3V pin could not power both, so the ethernet card would not properly initialize. I finally figured this out by using an "arp -a" on my linux system and noticed that the DE:AD:BE:EF:FE:ED mac address always showed up with an IP of 0.0.0.0 even though it was hardcoded into the sketch.

The solution? This card ls 5V tolerant. I put my radio on the 3.3V pin, the ethernet on the 5V pin and my problem was solved - the card initializes properly every time. My radio on the gateway has also been a lot more stable (still using a 4.7uf cap, though).

To be clear - I am NOT saying just plug any card into 5V and expect it to work. Do check out the specs on your card, see if it is 5V tolerant and if you are willing to accept the risk and try it, it may be something to look into. I also recommend you turn on debug like Hek recommended. That helped me a good bit as well see where things were getting hung up on other sensor issues after I got past the ethernet issue...

Good Luck!

@Sleepyhat Thanks, I'll have to look at that and see if helps. I have another Ethernet on the way tomorrow too

Well, my "new" Ethernet shield arrived and there is no change.

The Vera logs reflect what would be expected, no response from the Arduino Gateway

root@MiOS_30010119:/tmp/log/cmh# tail -f LuaUPnP.log | grep "192.168.15.118"
    4547 root 1672 S ping -c 1 192.168.15.118
    4545 root 1676 S /bin/sh -c ping -c 1 192.168.15.118
    4575 root 1672 S grep 192.168.15.118
    4545 root 1676 S /bin/sh -c ping -c 1 192.168.15.118
    4575 root 1672 S grep 192.168.15.118
    50 04/28/14 14:48:11.941 luup_log:292: Arduino: Using network connection: IP address is 192.168.15.118:5001 <0x2b92f680>
    01 04/28/14 14:48:14.956 IOPort::Connect connect -1 192.168.15.118:5001 <0x35640680>
    01 04/28/14 14:48:21.966 IOPort::Connect connect -1 192.168.15.118:5001 <0x35640680>
    01 04/28/14 14:48:28.976 IOPort::Connect connect -1 192.168.15.118:5001 <0x35640680>
    01 04/28/14 14:48:35.986 IOPort::Connect connect -1 192.168.15.118:5001 <0x35640680>
    01 04/28/14 14:48:42.996 IOPort::Connect connect -1 192.168.15.118:5001 <0x35640680>
    01 04/28/14 14:48:50.006 IOPort::Connect connect -1 192.168.15.118:5001 <0x35640680>
    01 04/28/14 14:48:57.026 IOPort::Connect connect -1 192.168.15.118:5001 <0x35640680>
    01 04/28/14 14:49:04.036 IOPort::Connect connect -1 192.168.15.118:5001 <0x35640680>
    01 04/28/14 14:49:11.046 IOPort::Connect connect -1 192.168.15.118:5001 <0x35640680>
    01 04/28/14 14:49:18.056 IOPort::Connect connect -1 192.168.15.118:5001 <0x35640680>
    01 04/28/14 14:49:25.066 IOPort::Connect connect -1 192.168.15.118:5001 <0x35640680>
    01 04/28/14 14:49:32.076 IOPort::Connect connect -1 192.168.15.118:5001 <0x35640680>
    01 04/28/14 14:49:39.086 IOPort::Connect connect -1 192.168.15.118:5001 <0x35640680>
    01 04/28/14 14:49:45.156 IOPort::Connect connect -1 192.168.15.118:5001 <0x35640680>
    01 04/28/14 14:49:52.166 IOPort::Connect connect -1 192.168.15.118:5001 <0x35640680>
    01 04/28/14 14:49:59.176 IOPort::Connect connect -1 192.168.15.118:5001 <0x35640680>
    ^C
    root@MiOS_30010119:/tmp/log/cmh#

So I guess the enext step is to fall back to the Serial Gateway as @hek has suggested and try to go forward from there.

As @hek suggested I went to the SerialGateway route and it it appears to have worked, at least Vera can apparently talk to it I no longer get Lua startup failures. The "Lib version" is 1.2+ and clicking "Start" inclusion results in "0 devices found" --- there are no sensors built yet so that makes sense.

I'd still like to get the Ethernet version working, I want to place the gateway elsewhere. But at this point i know my Arduino works and it does compile and upload, Vera can talk to it.

I've built and installed the serial Gateway (Arduino Nano ATMEGA328) and I've wired up a Light Sensor (Arduino Pro Mini 5v ATMEGA328).

Apparently Vera recognizes the Gateway, the Vera USB LED flashes continuously several times per second I get nothing attempting to include a device from the Vera Plugin.

I've brought both the Gateway and Sensor up on a PC on separate USB ports and started the Serial Port Monitor for each, the Gateway on COM6 and the Sensor on COM11. When I power up the devices I get "0;0;4;11;Arduino startup complete." on each and that's it. I tried manually sending a message in each direction but I do not get anything on the other end and there is no confirmation that it was sent or received.

The "Arduino startup complete" tells me that both Arduinos are OK and that the programs are running on each.

On a guess I changed the radio modules on the Gateway and the Sensor to no avail.

If I accidentally touch the Gateway Nano I get a few dozen outputs like this:
    0;0;4;11;Message available on pipe 7

But nothing else.

I'm composing messages on each end as follows:
    0;0;4;11;Test Message "x"

There is no indication that these messages are processed on either end let alone transmitted.

• Admin

@clippermiami

What example sketch are you running on the sensor node?

What do you mean by "0;0;4;11;Test Message "x""? Where are you composing this message? Are you using the MySensors API to send a message?

Just stay calm .. we will fix this 😄

@hek I'm running the Light Sensor example from the web site.

The message I composed in the send window at the top of the Serial Monitor dialog. I tried all sorts of things from a simple text "TEST" to the example I gave. I noticed the Arduino Startup complete message was prefaced with "0;0;4;11; " so I tried that in case the logic required some sort of preamble

I'm calm 🙂

John

• Admin

AH.. ok. but the 0;0;4;11 issues a debug print to controller (from gateway) and does not use the radio parts.

Have you followed these instructions to enable debug prints?
    http://www.mysensors.org/build/debug

When debug is enabled upload your light sensor sketch again and watch the serial-output.

@hek I did as the "debug" said, which is why I'm guessing i got the "Arduino statup complete" message as I had not seen that in previous attempts without the debug set, and I got exactly what I said, nothing on either end.

I wasn't aware of the meaning of the "0;0;4;11;" part but that was just the latest of several things tried. I already tried simple plain text "Testing", "Test 1", etc. and got nothing on either end.

The compile/upload works fine and it sends the startup message so I'm assuming that both Arduinos are working and the base code is executing as intended. I've done, undone and redone the wiring on both ends several times; I've swapped the radio modules on both ends, I've compiled and recompiled, uploaded and re-uploaded, the code several times, with and without the debug. i'm running out of ideas. Its obviously something I'm doing wrong or some defective item because I'm the only one with the problem. But I swear I don't know what it is.

• Admin

If you had enabled debug correctly you would see much more information in the Serial Monitor when you turn on on the light sensor and it is hooked up to your computer.

• Admin

@clippermiami said:

Wait a minute... in you previous post you said that gateway AND sensor outputs this:

Arduino startup complete.

But that makes no sense. Sensors do not print this at startup... only gateway does. Are you sure you have uploaded the Sensor sketch correctly?

@hek I'll do it again, as I said i've done it several times but I'm running out of ideas 🙂

Right now i have both devices on the same notebook PC on different USB/Com ports obviously. I'll recompile the light sensor and upload it again, i suppose I could have messed that up along the way.

@hek
    I have no idea how they got crossed but they were apparently. When I started the sensor I get this. so NOW i apparently have the sensor code running on the senor.

Started sensor.
    Open ping reading pipe: 255
    Tx: fr=255,to=255,la=255,ne=255,ci=255,mt=4,ty=9,cr=184:
    No relay nodes was found. Trying again in 10 seconds.

However, it still not working, the sensor can't find a "relay" node? Nothing happens at the gateway other than the startup complete message

UPDATE:
    Changed radios again on both ends and restarted with no change.
    BTW, the Sensor code is a cut/paste from the listing on the mysensors.org web site

A further update, on the off chance I swapped out the Gateway Arduino Nano board, recompiled and uploaded the Serial Gateway code. Same as before.

Can someone tell me what this means:

And if it offers any guidance as to what is wrong. The Sensor code was a cut/paste from the code on the web site so it ought o be correct.

• Admin

@clippermiami

Your sensor is trying to get in contact with either the gateway or an relaying node. It's trying to find the way home so to say.
    Once it get contact with something it will request an unique radio-id.

So either you haven't started the gateway or having radio-problem. Did you put capacitors on the radios?

@hek

Sounds like the sensor end is working. i've put LEDs on the three leads defined in the sketch and there is nothing happening on any of them so I'm guessing that something basic is wrong with the Gateway.

i've tried the capacitors and no change so far. At this point I'd think that at least one of the LEDs (Tx, TX or Error) would indicate something.

BTW, i appreciate your patience with a newbie.

• Admin

@clippermiami

And your using the simple radio model on both ends (no amplified radio)?
    Are you really sure the radio-wiring is correct? And no lose contacts (it has happened more than once for me:) ?

The radios also seems to be very sensitive when it comes to stability of the power feeding (sometimes). Do you have the possibility to feed them through Wall-wart/USB or something else than your computer?

• Contest Winner

@hek said:

Are you really sure the radio-wiring is correct? And no lose contacts (it has happened more than once for me:) ?

me too. More than I care to admit and more frustrating than anything.

@clippermiami

did you switch out the jumper wires already, too?

I think i've found the problem.

In the instructions on mysensors.org under building the USB-Serial Gateway it says
    [code]
    Building a USB-connected Gateway

NOTE: You must use an Arduino Nano for the USB version of the gateway. The Nano is the officially supported and tested model so if you try a different version, we cannot guarantee that the Vera will recognize it.

Start by connecting the radio module.
    [/code]

When you follow the link to "connecting the radio module it leads to a Arduino Pro-Mini configuration NOT a Nano. I used the radio configuration from the Ethernet gateway because it depicts the wiring for a Nano.

I found some code on forum.micasaverde.com that was to debug the radio connection and put it in my Gateway code and it says the **radio is not connected properly. **

So now i'm confused, what wiring IS correct for the NANO in the USB Serial Gateway?

• Admin

Yes, the radio wiring is different for ethernet vs serial version of the gateway.
    So, like the instructions say, when building the Serial version you should follow the guide here:
    http://www.mysensors.org/build/connect_radio

The pin numbers is identical between pro mini and nano.

@hek As I recall the difference is in pins for CE/CSN (from memory here so I may be wrong) in which case my radio is in fact wired incorrectly as it used the Nano pinout from the Ethernet Gateway. I shall fix it and hopefully everything will start to play together. (Fingers, toes, legs, eyes crossed 🙂 )

Well, that didn't do it either. i do however now have a ERR LED indication on SOLID.

I have the following wiring (checked, rechecked)
    Arduino...............Radio
    Pin 2 IRQ Gray
    Pin 4 LED Err
    Pin 5 LED Tx
    Pin 6 LED Rx
    Pin 9 CE Org
    Pin 10 CSN Yel
    Pin 11 MOSI Blue
    Pin 12 MISO Violet
    Pin 13 SCK Grn
    3.3 V Out Radio Vcc
    5v Out LEDs
    GND Radio GND

4.7 uF Cap Radio Vcc to Radio GND
    Changed power supply from Laptop USB to separate 5V USB Wall Wart

• Contest Winner

@clippermiami

I just had a similar connectivity issue with a project I was completing. I switched to 1.2A 5V cell phone charger and that did it...

not enough power...

What is the output of your wall wort?

@BulldogLowell Rated 5 volts 1 amp. I'm having a hard time imagining this consuming that kind of power

• Admin

@clippermiami said:

All looks ok from your description.

Pin 4 LED Err
    Pin 5 LED Tx
    Pin 6 LED Rx

...and resistors in series I hope.

Maybe you should go back and run some of the examples in RF24/examples folder. Remember to use the same CE/CSN in constructor when testing Ping sketch for example.

• Contest Winner

@clippermiami

you are right...

Well, i'm pleased to say that I got my Serial Gateway and first Sensor up. After all the problems with the "scrambled wiring" version I used Ross Kinard's PCB from OSHPark and it came up the first time. It located and included the Light Sensor immediately although it doesn't seem to have picked up all the config data (Photo attached)ScreenHunter_119 May. 11 13.27.jpg.

But after the previous frustrations this is a major victory 🙂

Thanks to everyone but especially to @Ross for his excellent PCB and @hek for your patience and assistance.

John

• Admin

@clippermiami said:

...although it doesn't seem to have picked up all the config data (Photo attached)!

John,

This is happening to me too when I first include the sensor. I just have to power cycle the sensor (light sensor in your case) and then the info appears.

Hope that will work for you too.

Pete

@petewill That got it, thanks

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics