Introduction & Controller question

• Hello!

I found this site a few days ago - what an awesome community!
    I've been working in IT for many years, and I love to tinker.
    My formal education is in electronics & I've been a systems / network administrator for most of my professional life.
    I'm strong in hardware, operating systems, TCP/IP networking; but weak in programming.
    I've been learning Arduino & some Python for the past couple of years. I don't think I'll ever write my own code on anything, but I've become pretty adept at implementing software others have written, and modifying it a bit to suit my needs.

This weekend I have some time, so I'm going to do some experimentation.

My plans:
    Raspberry Pi 3 as the Controller
    Adafruit HUZZAH ESP8266 breakout as Gateway with an NRF24L01 radio to bridge sensors to ethernet.
    Arduinos with NRF24L01s as Sensors & Actuators

I'm working on the Gateway now, but I'm still undecided as to what Controller software to run on my Pi 3.
    I've hacked it to support an external antenna, check out my Hackaday project here:
    https://hackaday.io/project/10091-raspberry-pi-3-external-antenna

Do you have a favorite Controller package for use on a Raspberry Pi?
    I'd like a slick web interface that my technophobe wife would find easy to use on her tablet. 😃

Thanks!

-KJ

• Mod

Don't know if you have seen it already, but a list of controllers (including screen shots) is available at http://www.mysensors.org/controller/

• I have installed PiDome - it looks promising but the documentation is disappointing.

Which controller seems to have the best documentation for use on the Raspberry Pi?

Thanks!

• @KrisJacobs
    Hi Kris.
    I settled on domoticz pretty quickly. No complaints as yet. Am running it on a (free to me) HP mini with Ubuntu, but the pi documentation appears pretty thorough.

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics