!TSM:FPAR:FAIL node and gateway communication problems?

• I don't know what I am missing, but I am trying to get a node on an Ardunio Pro Mini, running the Door/Window sketch to send data using a NRF24L01+ card to an Arduino Mega gateway using the same card.
    I have soldered a 4.7micro ferad condenser on both of them... I have tried running the Pro Mini on batteries - still to no avail.
    I have no controller as it is right now - is this necessary?
    The gateway seems to startup properly, gives no error messages... it concludes with

0;255;3;0;9;MC0;BGN:INIT OK, TSP=1

I have turned off registration in MyConfig.h to ease the setup, but nothing helped.

The node gives the following errors:

3675664 TSF:MSG:SEND,3-3-255-255,s=255,c=3,t=7,pt=0,l=0,sg=0,ft=0,st=OK:
    3677673 !TSM:FPAR:NO REPLY
    3677675 TSM:FPAR
    3677775 TSF:MSG:SEND,3-3-255-255,s=255,c=3,t=7,pt=0,l=0,sg=0,ft=0,st=OK:
    3679787 !TSM:FPAR:FAIL
    3679789 TSM:FAIL:CNT=7
    3679791 TSM:FAIL:PDT

If anyone have any suggestions I will be more than happy!
    Will try with bigger capacitors in a few hours...
    Greetings,
    Robert

• Wich controller you use ? Node ID attribution is coming from controller, not gateway.

• @Fabien I am not using a controller. Can it run alone, or can I set up the Arduino Mega gateway as a controller as well?

• I have hooked up the Arduino Pro mini with the sensor to a laboratory power supply, which should be very precise. No change in the log...

0 MCO:BGN:INIT NODE,CP=RNNNA--,VER=2.1.0
    4 TSM:INIT
    4 TSF:WUR:MS=0
    12 TSM:INIT:TSP OK
    14 TSF:SID:OK,ID=3
    16 TSM:FPAR
    114 TSF:MSG:SEND,3-3-255-255,s=255,c=3,t=7,pt=0,l=0,sg=0,ft=0,st=OK:
    2123 !TSM:FPAR:NO REPLY
    2125 TSM:FPAR
    2226 TSF:MSG:SEND,3-3-255-255,s=255,c=3,t=7,pt=0,l=0,sg=0,ft=0,st=OK:
    4235 !TSM:FPAR:NO REPLY
    4237 TSM:FPAR
    4337 TSF:MSG:SEND,3-3-255-255,s=255,c=3,t=7,pt=0,l=0,sg=0,ft=0,st=OK:
    6346 !TSM:FPAR:NO REPLY
    6348 TSM:FPAR
    6449 TSF:MSG:SEND,3-3-255-255,s=255,c=3,t=7,pt=0,l=0,sg=0,ft=0,st=OK:
    8458 !TSM:FPAR:FAIL
    8460 TSM:FAIL:CNT=1
    8462 TSM:FAIL:PDT
    18466 TSM:FAIL:RE-INIT

Will try with a larger capacitor, even though I don't think it will do much difference, when I use this power supply...

• Tried with a ceramic 47 micro farad condenser to no avail...

• Mod

@agtig could you post the debug log from your gateway?
    Edit: sorry, I see that you already did.

• @mfalkvidd Kind of... Here is the log of the gateway in full length 😉

0;255;3;0;9;MCO:BGN:INIT GW,CP=RNNGA--,VER=2.1.0
    0;255;3;0;9;TSM:INIT
    0;255;3;0;9;TSF:WUR:MS=0
    0;255;3;0;9;TSM:INIT:TSP OK
    0;255;3;0;9;TSM:INIT:GW MODE
    0;255;3;0;9;TSM:READY:ID=0,PAR=0,DIS=0
    0;255;3;0;9;MCO:REG:NOT NEEDED
    0;255;3;0;14;Gateway startup complete.
    0;255;0;0;18;2.1.0
    0;255;3;0;9;MCO:BGN:STP
    0;255;3;0;9;MCO:BGN:INIT OK,TSP=1

If this helps... I will try using the older version of the sketch for both the sensor and the gateway...

• Now I downgraded to version 2.0, but the same problem remains.
    It seems that the problem resides with the sensor?
    At least it is the sensor that complains...
    Or is my problem that I am trying to run this without a controller?

TSM:PDT
    TSM:INIT
    TSM:RADIO:OK
    TSP:ASSIGNID:OK (ID=254)
    TSM:FPAR
    TSP:MSG:SEND 254-254-255-255 s=255,c=3,t=7,pt=0,l=0,sg=0,ft=0,st=bc:
    !TSM:FPAR:FAIL
    !TSM:FAILURE

• did you try https://forum.mysensors.org/topic/666/debug-faq-and-how-ask-for-help
    According with this flowchart, you can try to change radio on node.

• I have now rewired all the cables, and made it neat, plus changed the radio, but nothing helps...
    I still get a:

!TSM:FFPAR:FAIL
    !TSM:FAILURE

• Mod

I am joining discussione as I have same problem. Here is the sensor node running on a Mega2560 with sketch MotionSensor from Mysensors examples

0 MCO:BGN:INIT NODE,CP=RNNNA--,VER=2.1.0
    3 TSM:INIT
    4 TSF:WUR:MS=0
    11 TSM:INIT:TSP OK
    13 TSM:INIT:STATID=2
    14 TSF:SID:OK,ID=2
    16 TSM:FPAR
    1615 TSF:MSG:SEND,2-2-255-255,s=255,c=3,t=7,pt=0,l=0,sg=0,ft=0,st=OK:
    3623 !TSM:FPAR:NO REPLY
    3625 TSM:FPAR
    5225 TSF:MSG:SEND,2-2-255-255,s=255,c=3,t=7,pt=0,l=0,sg=0,ft=0,st=OK:
    7232 !TSM:FPAR:NO REPLY
    7234 TSM:FPAR
    8834 TSF:MSG:SEND,2-2-255-255,s=255,c=3,t=7,pt=0,l=0,sg=0,ft=0,st=OK:
    10841 !TSM:FPAR:NO REPLY
    10843 TSM:FPAR
    12442 TSF:MSG:SEND,2-2-255-255,s=255,c=3,t=7,pt=0,l=0,sg=0,ft=0,st=OK:
    14449 !TSM:FPAR:FAIL
    14450 TSM:FAIL:CNT=1
    14452 TSM:FAIL:PDT
    24455 TSM:FAIL:RE-INIT

This is gateway running on a UNO with sketch Serial Gateway from MySensors examples

0;255;3;0;9;MCO:BGN:INIT GW,CP=RNNGA--,VER=2.1.0
    0;255;3;0;9;TSM:INIT
    0;255;3;0;9;TSF:WUR:MS=0
    0;255;3;0;9;TSM:INIT:TSP OK
    0;255;3;0;9;TSM:INIT:GW MODE
    0;255;3;0;9;TSM:READY:ID=0,PAR=0,DIS=0
    0;255;3;0;9;MCO:REG:NOT NEEDED
    0;255;3;0;14;Gateway startup complete.
    0;255;0;0;18;2.1.0
    0;255;3;0;9;MCO:BGN:STP
    0;255;3;0;9;MCO:BGN:INIT OK,TSP=1
    0;255;3;0;9;TSF:SAN:OK

I tried with both a power regulator for NRF24 and with a 10uF on both sides.

• Hi all,
    are you with Arduino IDE 1.8.0 ?
    If yes did you try to downgrade the AVR version of Arduino 1.8.0 ?
    Check the last two posts in this thread: https://forum.mysensors.org/topic/4801/building-an-ethernet-gateway/15

I'm not sure it will solve the problem but not bad to try.

• @David Well, I just saw an update to the boards had been released, so first I tried updating that, but resulting in the same error.
    Then I downgraded the boards to version 1.6.11 as recommended in the thread you linked to, but still resulting in the same error.

But thanks for the tip... Well, am really scratching my head on this problem.

<>
    Can anyone verify that a controller is not needed for the communication between the sensor and the gateway to work?
    <>

• It seems to me that the sensor is trying to find a parent, but fails?

• Mod

Can anyone verify that a controller is not needed for the communication between the sensor and the gateway to work?

A controller is needed for dynamic id assignment. Since you are using static id a controller is not requored. The node should find its parent (= the gateway unless you have repeater(s)) anyway.

• @mfalkvidd Should both the gateway and the sensor have static id's? (different of course)

• Mod

@agtig a gateway always has the static id 0. So yes they will both have static id to work without a controller.

• I just found this other forum post, which might be the answer to my issues: https://forum.mysensors.org/topic/5671/loosing-my-mind-sensor-not-talking-to-esp-gw-latest-2-2-0-beta/2

I too have bought the radios with a blob instead of an IC.

I too have ordered different radios - the ones that are recommended here in the shop.
    Had just hoped to be able to figure out how to get the ones I have to work. If anyone have any other ideas, or would like me to post some code, please let me know. I am running pretty standard from the example, only added MY_NODE_ID in the top...

• Mod

I sent back my radios with blob and ordered other with IC: according to users' feedback they are working.

• Mod

i got the new NRF24 modules and it looks they are working. it looks like they are clones but at least I am not getting errors on startup like the others. For reference on the chip the code is 1609AH

PS I did some tests on range with RF24_PA_MAX but I can get maximum 6-7 meters on same floor with 2 walls. Not as much as I would have expected.

• @agtig said:

https://forum.mysensors.org/topic/5671/loosing-my-mind-sensor-not-talking-to-esp-gw-latest-2-2-0-beta/2

I have been pulling my hairs out too; whatever I did no joy. I also have the ones with the blob and i'm happy I got back here. Static node, no joy whatsoever. I am looking for the IC nodes now, just need to find a reputable seller as I thought I was buying the IC ones, but eventually was sent the blob cloned ones.

luckily i complained and said what I was sent was fake and got my money back.

• Maybe you should give

#define MY_RF24_PA_LEVEL RF24_PA_MIN

a try.
    Being short of NRF modules, I ordered 10 pcs from my trusted EBAY-Seller for about 6.5€. What a disappointing experience - none of the modules did its work. All failed with

!TSM:FPAR:NO REPLY

10 defective modules in a row? Not likely. Clones? "Second source"? Fake? - maybe. So back to the roots, digging out maniacbug's library, uploading test sketches (pingpair_ack) - and ... no communication.
    Regarding debug output the only difference between working and dysfunctional modules was PA_LEVEL (PA_LOW vs. PA_MAX). So switching to PA_MIN resulted in almost flawless communication arround 5-7m (inhouse with much armoured concrete, not noticeably different from "working" NRF modules).
    Reducing PA_LEVEL is advised frequently in this forum, but I never thought of reducing to PA_MIN.
    Interesting observation: increasing PA_LEVEL from PA_MIN to PA_LOW resulted in way much higher Round-Trip-Times (6000µs vs 650µs) and some failures (indicating bad transmissions), increasing to PA_LEVEL to PA_HIGH broke communication completely.

So recompiling Mysensors sketches with RF24_PA_MIN did the trick, the probably "fake" modules are doing their job.

• Mod

I barely make it to the next room whatever power level I choose: I don't know if it is related to the voltage regulator with AMS1117 chip but I get a good communication until a certain point but as soon as I get behind a second wall, the gateway stops receiving even with 250k transfer rate. On my next order I'll get a couple of NRF24 chips with PA and antenna and see if it gets (hopefully) any better, if not I'll probably make the dipole antenna mod on the chips as I'd like to use them for longer range. If any of that will not work the only left solution is to use the Network libraries for the NRF24.

• I experience a very strange behavior of couple of sensors. They don't find parent if no repeater nodes are present. As soon as I power on a repeater node they work fine. Why don't they get gateway as parent node? I tried to manually assign parent but no luck. I also tried to change their parent id through the myscontroller. They don't obey 🙂
    What did I miss?

• Mod

I never configured a parent Id...

• hi all friends. i have same problem . i test all state of software and hard ware.
    for software:
    use static ID
    use static parent
    change channel for gateway and nodes
    use all state of pa_level (min - low - high - max) for nodes and gateway.
    for hardware:
    use 3 type of radio with/without antena (2chip and 1chip)
    use 4.7 - 100 - 470 uF capacitor
    use radio adapter and reglator module (5 to 3.3)
    use power supply 2A - 10A

but not useful. . .

• Mod

Pls write what is your hw setup and how you connected everything, because there could be either a sw issue (like old libraries) or some errors in wiring. Also post logs of gateway and node

• @gohan
    i have a raspberry pi gateway and domoticz controller. and some fixed nodes in some rooms. wiring , sketch (softeware and hardware) is similar to simple sketch in site.
    just i added some feature similar to static node id , repeater feature and etc. the important issue is : i used this sketchs and devices (before update library and update sketch of nodes and gateway) without any problem . also use a node in 15 meter distance with gateway and there was 3 thick wall !and worked well, but after update the communication is very weak also for 5 meter with a 10cm wall i have very error similar to : FPAR FAIL - NACK - NO REPLAY - PDT . . . . i sure this is related to new version of library because i test all way for this problem

• Mod

@Reza
    I believe there is a specific discussion about the new library version, maybe you could ask there since the previous version was running fine. To get thing back to work you could restore the library you used before and recompile everything again.

• @gohan
    Previous Library didn't had "static parent feature"
    this feature add in new lib. and i think after add this issue , start problem.
    now for near distance between nodes and gateway dont have problem . but for more than 5 meter there is problems.
    i think this problem ( most of lastest topics is related to this errors and problems) is related to library.
    perhaps @hek know more about this. so if he confirm , i open a new topic and report my exprience....

• Mod

I'm not using that Static Parent, I left as default so it goes to AUTO in the MyConfig.h but at the moment I'm not using any repeater yet

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics