Lightning Detection

• Hi,

I have a lightning detector with analog and digital outputs. I would like to use the analog to see the amplitude of energy to help determine distance to strike.

Question is, what would be the best sensor 'type' to choose for this? I would like it to be shown as a graph in MyController with 0-100%, but not with humidity symbols. There is a generic digital type, but no generic analog type (maybe an idea?)....

Thanks for any suggestions 🙂

• Mod

• Thanks, That is a different sensor to the one I have (mine has simply digital and analog outputs). Still, I will have a read through it, I can already see that V-VAR1 is in use, never seen that before.....still learning!!! 🙂

• Mod

What are the values you are getting from the sensor's library.?

• There is no 'library' for the board as it is only digital out and analog out, so simply read the corresponding pin and you are done. So far I have only tested with the digital pin and that works with a small piezo spark.
    Next will be to try the analog and graph the results (which should be 0-1023) from the analog pin. This I will then convert to % and see if it is possible to get an estimation of distance from that (but varying magnitude lightning discharges might mean that it won't be that reliable).

@skywatch said in Lightning Detection:

Hi,

I have a lightning detector with analog and digital outputs. I would like to use the analog to see the amplitude of energy to help determine distance to strike.

Question is, what would be the best sensor 'type' to choose for this? I would like it to be shown as a graph in MyController with 0-100%, but not with humidity symbols. There is a generic digital type, but no generic analog type (maybe an idea?)....

Thanks for any suggestions 🙂

In Domoticz S_DUST, V_LEVEL are a good combination to use for generic sensors. You can easily use this for percentage etc. and it will give you a graph as well.

To use S_DUST was first mentioned by @pjr in This Post

I have used it in my Water Tank Sensor to show both litres and percentage and in my Lightning Sensor to show distance and intensity.
    It may work in other controllers as well, I guess it will depend on how it is implemented in the plugin.

• @Boots33

Thanks for the tip 🙂

I guess the mycontroller will have similar functions, I'll try it out soon.

• I tried it with a simple digital binary sketch and it worked as far as the display goes. I could get a graph so I could know at what time the lighting strikes were. Trouble is, no lightning to test it fully with 😞

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics