Raspberry as a node (bis)

• Hi all

Not posting doesn't that mean i've lost interest 😁

My house relies more and more on MySensors and openHab... great team, i'm delighted !

Time for a new challenge : "smart" door bell.

What is on my mind : old raspberry with its cam hidden in the front fence pillar. As soon as the doorbell push button is pushed, the bell rings (inside the house) but also a picture is taken and (at the beginning at least) is stored onto my local NAS. Then, if i'm not home i would get a broadcast message from OH.

That brings me to the following question : can a Raspberry Pi be hooked to a NRF module and behave like a node ?

That post (https://forum.mysensors.org/topic/6949/raspberry-pi-zero-as-sensor-node) brought me a security issue : smart devices connected to LAN can become a weakness

Other than that i would connect an Arduino to the RPi but then that looks a bit over-complicated...

Thanks for your help people ! 👍

• Mod

@ben999 said in Raspberry as a node (bis):

Not posting doesn't that mean i've lost interest

It's been a while indeed. Welcome back 🤗

can a Raspberry Pi be hooked to a NRF module and behave like a node

I would think so, but to send an image to your NAS the connection is way too slow.
    Just use WiFi/ethernet to connect your pi to your LAN, and use that to transport images.

• @Yveaux hi

Thanks a lot for your reply 👍

Slight misunderstanding here 😉

Raspberry will be connected to LAN to transfer picture to NAS, probaly via wifi (or wired if i decide to go down the PoE road...)

But i also want the RPi to be connected to openHab in order to send notification of "front gate button pushed" via MySensors so i can get the doorbell to ring AND a broadcast message from openHab.

About security:
    My router offers me an option of NOT giving internet access to any device while still being connected to LAN. Is that safe enough ?

• Mod

Raspberry will be connected to LAN to transfer picture to NAS, probaly via wifi (or wired if i decide to go down the PoE road...)

Ah! Thought you were slightly paranoid 😉

But i also want the RPi to be connected to openHab in order to send notification of "front gate button pushed" via MySensors so i can get the doorbell to ring AND a broadcast message from openHab.

I personally would go the MQTT way for this and bypass MySensors completely. Probably there are many more ways supported by OpenHab to trigger something on a remote node or receive some data from it using a (wireless) ethernet connection.

• @Yveaux 👍 thank you

😄 here you are talking once again a weired language 😄

Ok i'll dig what MQTT can do for me. How does the piece of data (someone pushed the doorbell button) gets from RPi to openhab ? Does it stay local within the LAN (and gets directly to my gateway) or does it have to travel through internet up to openhab and down again to my gateway (remember, my bell has to ring) ?

So last question just to be sure : it is not common practice to use RPi as a node ? And there is no "sketch" ready made that can be tweaked ?

Thanks a lot for your time, i really appreciate it 😉

• Mod

Does it stay local within the LAN (and gets directly to my gateway) or does it have to travel through internet up to openhab and down again to my gateway (remember, my bell has to ring) ?

You run an MQTT broker ('server') somewhere in your local network (or even on your pi) that takes care of distributing the data.
    Not saying you need MQTT, only that it works marvellous for me.

So last question just to be sure : it is not common practice to use RPi as a node ? And there is no "sketch" ready made that can be tweaked ?

Not to my knowledge, but as all platforms supported by mysensors can be turned into nodes, this should also work for a pi.

• This post is deleted!

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics