nRF24 radio reliability

• Hi,

what's your experience on reliability of those radio? Not directly, but I've experienced that they hangs after some time.

I've found the the nRF24 library continue to run but the radio doesn't report any new data and start to work again after a new init (no need to reset the micro). I don't know if this may depends on manufacturing, because not all radio shows the same behavior.

Thanks,
    Dario.

• Admin

There are a tremendous amount of clones out there. I would imagine most of the ebay/aliexpress sellers sell them. And seem to come in different qualities. Most of them work reliably but they are sensitive to power fluctuation.

When mixing genuine and clones there can be problems with the ack-functionality.

The genuine seem to have a much lower power consumption.

http://hackaday.com/2015/02/23/nordic-nrf24l01-real-vs-fake/

• I cannot image how they can get revenue on a clone of a device that sells for few dollars.

Thanks for the info,
    Dario.

• Admin

@plinioseniore

If the original chip costs 2$ piece, and they can produce a clone of it for 1$, then if they sell 100.000 units, they have earned 100.000$ (given that they take the full price for the clone). It's done all over the place, everything that CAN be "copied" WILL be "copied".

Take the FTDI gate last year where FTDI suddenly killed all the counterfeit chips with an windows driver update.

Even if they only save a few cent per piece, it will eventually be big money when it's something that sells in large quantities

• @tbowmo

Sure, but be able to clone an IC means that they have a structure and manufacturing equipments, I guess they can found better way to get income.

Dario.

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics