OTA updates on Arduino Nano

• Hey there,

I read that it is possible to update firmware OTA using MYSBootloader.
    Is this also possible with Arduino Nano (clone)? I cannot find anywhere how to burn this bootloader, if possible. If not, what is the best alternative?

Thanks a lot!

Rene

• It's possibly. If you aren't very experienced the easiest way is probably to use the MYSController. It ships AFAIK with a precompiled bootloader.

• Admin

@rvweert

You need to reporgram the bootloader in your nano. To do this, you need a ISP programmer attached to the nano.

Use either another arduino (clone) with ISP software loaded, to program the target, or buy an avr-dragon, etc. programming device

• Hey thanks for the advice.

I actually programmed the MYSbootloader with another Arduino (ISP). Now the programmed Arduino isn't responding anymore. It does work again if I restore the original bootloader. Should I perhaps change something in the fuse settings?

Thanks.

Rene

• @rvweert said:

Hey thanks for the advice.

I actually programmed the MYSbootloader with another Arduino (ISP). Now the programmed Arduino isn't responding anymore. It does work again if I restore the original bootloader. Should I perhaps change something in the fuse settings?

Thanks.

Rene

The MYSbootloader doesn't support flashing over Serial! Connect a radio to the nano, make sure it works, and then flash. After the reset of the nano you should see firmware requests in myscontroller.

• Hi and thanks again;-)

Ok I've got the bootloader and sketch on the node. I also see it in my gateway using MYSController. However when I try to reboot it just starts sending a lot of messages but doesn't reboot. Neither do I seem able to update the firmware, any clue?

I also added the line 'boolean process();' to the start of the loop.

Rene

Screenshot from 2015-11-06 13-14-42.png

• @rvweert said:

Hi and thanks again;-)

Ok I've got the bootloader and sketch on the node. I also see it in my gateway using MYSController. However when I try to reboot it just starts sending a lot of messages but doesn't reboot. Neither do I seem able to update the firmware, any clue?

Rene

Hi!
    I've seen this behavour before on a relay node.. could you reset the node and look what it sends right after the reset?

• mine does this as well.
    It seems like (to me anyways)
    that when i had everything on 1.4 it worked well.
    but once i moved all my stuff over to the 1.5 lib, this stuff didn't play nice anymore.
    hoping that once @tekka releases the new app, it will solve some of those issues.

• Admin

@rvweert said:

Hi and thanks again;-)

Rene

Screenshot from 2015-11-06 13-14-42.png

This is strange but not related to MYSbootloader since no fw config requests are received. The node seems to re-initiate over and over, but not reboot. Can you please upload the log file obtaind from MYScontroller to get some additional info. Are all your nodes updated with the same lib version?

• Admin

@mvader said:

mine does this as well.
    but once i moved all my stuff over to the 1.5 lib, this stuff didn't play nice anymore.
    hoping that once @tekka releases the new app, it will solve some of those issues.

Didn't you mention in one of your posts that some nodes were having different lib versions?

• @tekka said:

@mvader said:

mine does this as well.

Didn't you mention in one of your posts that some nodes were having different lib versions?

I have everything on 1.5 stable now.
    but i do notice that i have to constantly disconnect / connect in MYSController
    I know that the controller and nodes still work, because lights (in my house) turn on and off. but no data is displayed in the controller screen.. i have to D/C
    same with firmware update. they go so far and then stop.. i have to D/C
    i have a nano with MYSBootloader acting as a 433 bridge and repeater, it does that (above screen shot) all the time. I'm using the 1.1 v of the bootloader.
    it felt like things worked much better on 1.4 lib with the MYSController.

• Admin

@mvader are you using serial or tcp/ip to connect the gw? can you post the myscontroller log (ideally with debug on) when those things happen?

• Hi Tekka,

Please see here my log:
    MySensors_20151109-085110.log

Also yes, all my nodes are running the same version from git.

Cheers,

Rene

• @rvweert: i see no bootloader involved. Could you try to add an wdt_reset(); at the beginning of the setup() routine?

• Hi Oitzu,

Just tried that, same result...

• No more news on this?;-)

• @rvweert out of ideas by simply looking at the logs.
    Maybe @tekka knows anything.
    Did you try to enable debug on the node and look at the nodes output?

• Admin

@rvweert I'll look into that in a little bit.

• Admin

@rvweert there is potentially an id conflict: was the node previously used as gateway? Anyhow, try clearing the eeprom with the ClearEepromConfig sketch and upload the log again.

• Hey Tekka,

Tried clearing both eeproms, still same problem. Actually tried two completely new nano's and same problem again...

• Admin

@rvweert Looking at the logs, there is no bootloader involved (@Oitzu already confirmed this).
    This looks like a bad nRF chip and/or power issues (try with different a cap) since the msgs sent from the GW never reach the node.

• Admin

@rvweert MY_OTA_FIRMWARE_FEATURE enabled in MyConfig.h? This seems to be the cause of the restarting nodes. Try disabling this option unless you are using the sensebender board...

• @tekka I checked but MY_OTA_FIRMWARE_FEATURE wasn't enabled. Also I tried Mysensors 1.4.1 and 1.5.2 but same result. Can't get it to work;-(

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics