Maximum cable length

• Hey guys, I was wondering what is the maximum length of a shielded cable I can put between Arduino and the sensors?
    thanks.

@mk55 The length of the cable will very much depend on the type of signal transmitted. i.e. analog/ digital ; frequency ; level ; low/high impedance of signal source and the type of cable used. Can you tell what type of sensor you are planning to connect?

• Thanks for your reply.
    I'm planning to connect the cable to a machine that has a 5 digital on/off sensors.
    When the digital sensors is closed I can read 3v.
    I'm planning using this cable:
    http://www.allelectronics.com/item/10cs22/10-conductor-shielded-cable-w/drain/1.html
    The cable will also provide power(12v) to the Arduino

@mk55 A Cat5 (LAN) cable can run up to 100m with a 1Gbit datarate (with twisted wire pairs). You will never get these datarates with Arduino. From simple judgement (simple on/off) the cable length would be limited mostly by internal resitance and power dissipation.

eg. with this cable (22AWG) a cable length of 100 meter and a 100mA current, the voltage drop would be around 1 V per wire. (so still 10 V left to power your Arduino).
    btw. 12V is the max for a good quality Arduino, many clones will reach their end of life very soon with 12V.

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to MySensors Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.