Radio ID's & Child ID's on a large network General Question

• Hey guys...

I'm planing to deploy about 23 nodes around the house and below is my setup.

4 Relay Button Actuator X 10 nodes
    Motion, Temp, Lux (3 in one sensor) X 11 nodes
    4 Binary Switch X 2 node

My questions is should I assign individual for Radio ID Relay, 3 in one sensor & binary. Or should I have as one Radio ID for all nodes with different Child.

Example 1: Individual Radio ID on each group

Node 1: Relay Button Actuator (Radio 2), Child 1, 2, 3, 4
    Node 2: Relay Button Actuator (Radio 2), Child 5, 6, 7, 8
    ...etc

Node 1: 3 in One (Radio 3), Child 1, 2, 3
    Node 2: 3 in One (Radio 3), Child 4, 5, 6
    ...etc

Node 1: Binary (Radio 4), Child 1, 2, 3,4
    Node 2: Binary (Radio 4), Child 5, 6,7
    ...etc

Example 2: OR one Radio ID for all groups.

Node 1: Relay Button Actuator (Radio 2), Child 1, 2, 3, 4
    Node 2: Relay Button Actuator (Radio 2), Child 5, 6, 7, 8
    ...etc

Node 1: 3 in One (Radio 2), Child 9, 10, 11
    Node 2: 3 in One (Radio 2), Child 12,13, 14
    ...etc

Node 1: Binary (Radio 2), Child 15, 16, 17,18
    Node 2: Binary (Radio 2), Child 19, 20,21
    ...etc

If I setup individual Radio ID will repeater mode still work if I have two different IDs on a network. I'm guessing not but will like to know.

• Admin

Each node (= one radio) have its own unique id (1-254).
    One node can have 254 sensors/child-devices.
    Sensors on different BASE_RADIO_ID cannot communicate (or repeat messages).

Unless you plan to have a very busy network you could probably have them on the same BASE_RADIO_ID.

• @hek Thank you!

• @hek

Another thing. When I set the Radio to AUTO, it populates and ID automatically. But what I realize is the Radio ID changes from node to node. Eg: Node 1 Radio ID: 2 , Node 2 Radio ID 4. They don't maintain the same Radio but different Child ID.

This only happens in the Array Sketch I'm running.

• Admin

I don't understand what you mean.

The node store the AUTO id-received in its eeprom to remember forever.

• @hek No that's not what meant. Every time when I load a sketch into the Arduino, it populates a different Radio ID. So assuming I have 5 nodes, they are all in different radio channel. I'm trying to get it in one Radio Ch but different Child IDs....

• Admin

They will all end up using the same radio channel (unless you change the following setting between compiles/uploads):
    https://github.com/mysensors/Arduino/blob/master/libraries/MySensors/MyConfig.h#L7

• @ hek
    I apologize, I got my terminology all mixed up. Based on my understanding...

node-id The unique id of the node that sends or should receive the message (address)
    child-sensor-id Each node can have several sensors attached. This is the child-sensor-id that uniquely identifies one attached sensor

My problem is when compiled based on an Auto setup, the Node Id changes from one Arduino to another. Eg; First Node: ID 3 Child 1, Second Node: ID 22 Child 2.

Question, will repeat mode work in this setup? Having a different Node-Id does it mean it's on a different network?

How do I have all nodes to start in Node-ID 3 but have different Childs based on the Auto setup. I'm running an Array sketch so I don't know how to specifically target each output to a specific Child.

Thanks you!

• Admin

@jeylites said:

Question, will repeat mode work in this setup? Having a different Node-Id does it mean it's on a different network?

Yes, repeaters will work. They are still on the same network.

Why would you want to have node-id set to 3 on all nodes? The node-id is used to address/route messages to a specific node and it won't work if they all have the same.

The library does not support broadcast or multicast. You'll have to send a addressed message to each node you want to control.

• @hek
    If repeater mode works regardless of which Node ID your in, than I will go with this setup. I was think for repeater to work one will need to have all Node ID on the same channel. I guess I'm wrong on that.

Thanks for clearing the air. 🙂

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics