Sensor + Interrupt questions

• Hey All,
    I have done some stuff with normal buttons and interrupts to wake up a node. I am wondering if anyone has done other stuff on the interrupts? Like a moisture/water sensor? im checking the feasibility of doing battery powered leak sensors. Seems like it would work since it's basically doing a button press by conducting through the water.

Now, I know what the first response is.... just try it!! I would, but alas i don't have my water sensors here yet 😆

thanks!

• I swear I did a search. But apparently I searched on one of my other community forums that had nothing to do with arduino or mysensors 😆

helps when i search the right forum.

• @CrankyCoder

I have a similar (same?) sensor type running on a Pro mini.
    I uses a PNP to gain up the sensor current and ran it into INT1 . My RFM69 uses INTO.

Works perfect. I've been running it on 3 AAA *** Carbon! batteries for a few months to see how long the batteries work. I can't yet estimate the battery life because I'm using the internal measurement of Vcc (which goes through the regulator).

John

*** updated, the original post stated 2 AAA batteries. This was in error.

• nice 🙂

I ordered a couple of sensors yesterday so as soon as they come in ill start doing some testing with them.

• Mod

@johnrob why are you using the regulator?

• @CrankyCoder
    For sensors I'm using 4 stainless steel screws extending out the bottom of a plastic housing. They are spaced at the corners of a 5/8 square. I tested it with 2 screw and it worked fine but I went with 4 for the extra sense current.

@gohan,
    I'm using 3 AAA batteries, my 2 AAA carbon battery statement was in error. When fresh the voltage exceeds the RFM69 input voltage specification.

John

• Mod

you could use 3 ni-mh and get rid of the regulator, that drains battery fast unless you use a low quiescent current one.

• Hi CrankyCoder,

I have door/window sensors running using interruptions. I got rid of the regulator and the power led and I am using a step up converter to take as much juice as possible from the batteries. The oldest node has been running for a year already on 2 AA batteries so your project is definitely doable.

The problem could be in case the leak sensor throws a lot of false positives in which case it would drain the battery quicker.

I hope it helps.

--
    David
    [http://www.smarthomeblog.net]

• @david-cabañero Thanks David, i just got a few of the step ups so I will give that a shot. Because of some of my other projects I have TONS of 18650 cells laying around so I figure those are decent batteries for this.

• Mod

are you running your nodes at 5V?

• no, i have a couple that i am running at 3.3 off the 18650s. so far it's been pretty good just using the sleep

Users

Topics