The Big Picture. Will this work?

• Greetings everybody.

I'm beginning to dig myself into the topic of DIY homeautomation πŸ˜„ But there are also some questions i can't answer myself properly 😞
    I'm planning the following setup:

• raspi as OpenHAB Base with raspbian
    • MQTT Gateway (installed on the pi? possible?)
    • sensors:
      • energy source: battery for all. I don't want to cut cables into my walls (besides: my wife would kill me πŸ˜„ ) runtimes should be at least 6 months ^^
      • transmission sensors -> gateway: WiFi with (WPA2 enabled) would be awesome, maybe bluetooth4 (with bluetooth low energy ??)
      • sensor types: temp, humidy and door/window sensors

Any chance to archieve this?

Thx

• OpenHab on a pi is a good choice.
    I would use an Arduino Uno with an ethernet shield for the MQTT gateway, so much easier to setup.
    A good 18650 3.7v battery should give you more than 6 months if you power trim you sensors.
    And the transmission would be by using NRF24L01+'s.

So all about making it easy for yourself:)

So to answer you question.. Yes, should be easy to achieve fairly fast.

• Admin

@dakky

have seen http://www.mysensors.org/hardware/micro ? (temperature/humidity sensor, battery powered)

• @tbowmo
    jep thats the target on the sensor side. I'd select an ardiuno pro micro (3,3V), strip the LED from it an connect the sensors and the NRF24L01+ to it. Of course i could buy your sensor board (and maybe, depending on price an availability i will), but where is the fun and the learning progress? πŸ˜„

@Magiske
    but why an extra device for the gateway? Is it really "too hard" to connect the receiving NRF24L01+ via the gpio and run it under raspbian? An extra device means extra costs and extra wiring (power, LAN).

• @dakky Well you can do the gateway for around $13ish and thats easy. Adding the gateway module to the running OpenHab could be easy if they can coexist. I have not done that, so again, it could be easy. But since you are just starting out, keep it easy.
    And afterwards, you can reuse the uno for other projects..

• hmm do you have a hint for me? I'm trying to understand the way the gateway works. The ethernet part is ok. But what about the NRF24L01+ and WiFi? Do u have some docs/tutorials/codesnipplets for me?

• u i got trapped .... the nrf24l01+ does't do WiFi. It just uses the same band 😞 i would prefer real WPA2 protected WiFi. Is anything like that possible (with battery power)?
    if NOT, how "secure" is it, to use open radio transmission for communication?

• Under Development is a great thread about security:

[security] Introducing signing support to MySensors

• Admin

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics