💬 Distance Sensor

• Admin

This thread contains comments for the article "Distance Sensor" posted on MySensors.org.

• Hi there, i've just got a couple JSN-SR04T distance ultrasonic sensors in the post today. Was excited to sit down and make up my first go at a distance sensor to measure our water tank level, but when i went in to the mysensors master directory to find the example sketch for distance sensor i couldn't find one. So i copied the one from https://www.mysensors.org/build/distance but this is an old version and when i complied it in the Arduino IDE i had an error come up not recognising "NewPing.h". Any pointers where to go from here please??

• Admin

• Thanks @hek for your prompt reply. I went there and downloaded the "MySensorsArduinoExamples". I still can't seem to get "DistanceSensor" sketch to compile. It's still looking for NewPing.h even though it's in the directory!

What am I missing?

0_1475240351494_upload-e54e5fc0-bfc0-43ae-9f99-4d5cfcaea3ad

• Admin

Looks like you placed the NewPing library in the wrong place. Check the path in the Arduino IDE preferences.

• Get this error

C:\Users\Daan\AppData\Local\Temp\Rar$DIa0.647\DistanceSensor\DistanceSensor.ino: In function 'void setup()':

DistanceSensor:53: error: 'getConfig' was not declared in this scope

metric = getConfig().isMetric;

• Mod

• hi folks, has anyone ever tried/considered to run this sensor on a battery powered node? Does it make sense, what would be a good setup? I want to monitor a remote watertank where it's hard to get power to... Thanks for your expert thoughts on this!

@jjk There should be no problem running it from a battery if you only want to check a few times a day and sleep the node in between, but depending on how often you want it to check the level you may need to also have a small solar panel perhaps.

You might also like to search for some of the other threads on battery powered nodes for info on how to reduce power consumption.

I have just installed an ultrasonic level on my tank last weekend but I have power there for the pump so the node runs all the time.

• thanks, sounds good, I will give it a trg

• i ran it but i see garbage in com monitor?? what is wrong?

• I have a setup with a HC-SR04 connected to an Arduino Pro Mini via a cable of about 5m length As I'm getting inconsistent readings from the sensor, I was wondering if cable length could be an issue - and if so, what a possible workaround could look like. Any thoughts from the experts?

• Mod

@jjk did it work better when you used a shorter cable?

• @Boots33 I had looked at the exact same scenario as jjk, and although the intended 3.3v rfm69 node is pre-designed for low consumption (Whisper), my problem lay in the ultrasonic (DYP-ME007Y mounted on a tube inserted through the concrete roof) for hourly reports as it is 5v, as is the SR04. They can be triggered by 3.3v but not run. The standby current of a 5v booster proved too much, so resorted to a 3v 33mA latching relay to fire it up. It has all been a design exercise to date, but if my calcs are correct the node should run for a year on 3 alkalines with the US running once every hour triggered by RTC.

• @mfalkvidd that's a fair question... I tested the sketch and connectivity with dupont cables and my spontaneous answer would be, "yes". However, to be honest, I never really calibrated the distance readings nor did I do a long-term test in the lab setup, so I think the true answer is, " I don't know"...

@zboblamont sounds like you figured it out?! Would you mind providing details on the relay you have used?

• @jjk Kemet EC2-3SNU from memory, but I know Omron et al make them also, check on Mouser etc. as it is not heavy current. The point is to ensure it is a latching type, the 33mA consumption from memory is ca 30ms, reverse pin polarity to reset relay, other may have dual coil.

• thanks @ zboblamont, I will have a look

• @jjk As an afterthought - If large temperature fluctuations are not an issue (air expansion in a tube) and it is not dirty water, you might also consider using differential pressure sensors as these are reasonably easy and can operate directly at 3.3v, inc I2C.

• @zboblamont thanks for putting more thoughts into this for me!
    As I'm just an motivated hobbyist (far from being expert in electronics), I've tried to switch the pro mini to a nano, in a hope that keeps me from dealing with the relay (new to me). My thought was that the 5V it provides should mitigate the issue - looks like it doesn't. So if the readings aren't getting more consistent with the 5V Nano, what else could be the issue?

• @jjk Hey, no expertise here either, hobbyist also, I am just old school measure thrice cut once. To be clear, I am fixed on a low voltage node so the relay gives the US board a solid and separate 5v, as I read that some of these are power sensitive, and some folks had problems powering them from an Arduino. The US trigger is supposedly ok at 3v, I only need to voltage divide the signal to the Mini. But that is my scenario, low power reliability.

In your situation, I would restore everything to completely original in a test space, use separate supplies and run checks. If the board is faulty the inconsistencies should still be there. If not, introduce each variable methodically to identify the cause.

Looks like your connection to MySensors Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.