Compiled Sketches and Progress

Although I've written code in everything from IBM 360/370 Assembler to assembler and "C" for various microprocessors and "C" and PERL for Windows, I'm truly a genuine Arduino "newby" so please bear with me.

When the Windows compiler finishes does it save the complied sketch anywhere? If it does I've been unable to find it 🙂

I was able to get the Ethernet Gateway to compile without error so I'm making progress. I have the Vera Plugin installed although of course in the absence of the Arduino gateway it fails on startup. Once my Arduino Nano and Ethernet adapter arrive by slow boat from China I'll be ready to hook up my Vera and start building my sensor network. My first project will be light and temperature sensors for each room in the house to help Vera decide whether to turn on lights and/or overhead fans during the day.

• Admin

Turn on verbose logging (when compiling) in the IDE (Settings). The last line is the location of the "hex" file. I.e (on my mac).

/var/folders/10/zl22d4vd1v1blxdtd4h8y5k80000gn/T/build1711744332620089449.tmp/EnergyMeterPulseSensor.cpp.hex

• @clippermiami

I am in the same "slow boat from China" situation as you. I have received bits and pieces of my initial tinker investment, but none of the meat!

Will you be building individual sensors for your rooms, or trying a single one with some long wiring between rooms? I currently have open access to the floor from my basement, while I am remodeling it, and am going to experiment with some long runs for sensors to base Arduino's. This is based off of an idea I saw here: http://forum.mysensors.org/topic/31/1wire-temperature-sensor-infrastructure-using-off-the-shelf-products#134

Also, how do you plan to power your sensors, and locate them? I am contemplating a (once tested and verified to my liking) LV gang box in the wall, with a 2 keystone face plate. Drill out some holes for the sensors in solid keystone plugs (http://www.monoprice.com/Product/?c_id=105&cp_id=10517&cs_id=1051706&p_id=6539&seq=1&format=2). Then just find a way to power it. I am no fan of batteries, when they can be avoided.

Do you already have your fans rigged in to your Zwave network? I am looking to add mine, but am not sure how to go about it yet. One room has 2 way controls, where each spot has the ability to change fan speed. The other 4 rooms have single switches, but can control fan speed at the switch. Have yet to look in to Zwave options for this. I suppose I could just put a relay style in and be able to control on/off, but not speed.

@hek Thanks I'll do that.

@NotYetRated I'm planning on multi function sensors, temperature and light, maybe humidity but that's not high on my list. I'm planning for them to be wireless for the most part.

Power is always a question. If I was really ambitious I'd run a 12v "bud" around the house but I'm not that ambitious 🙂 I suspect that some of the first round well have to be battery but I already have two locations picked out where I can use a wall wart.

As to Vera fan control I have one now but it's strictly an on/off situation on a standard GE ZWave on/off switch. I'm looking at another on/off in the Master Bedroom that's tired to a) temperature and b) time so that it would only go on when the temperature exceeded a setpoint during the normal sleeping hours - I wil tie this into a PLEG on Vera to make the logical determination. I'm already using the "sleep" hours idea in the PLEG to disable a motion detect in the room so the lights won't go on just because I roll over my sleep 🙂

• @clippermiami

Thanks for the reply! Perhaps while I have the basement ceiling open, I will look at putting a simple "bud" network as you described.

Is this the PLEG thing you mentioned? Was unaware of it, looks rather interesting.... http://rts-services.com/Vera/Plugin/PLEG/

@NotYetRated
    First it should have said 12 "BUS" not "bud" - entered from my android tablet and the autocorrect can't avoid "helping"

second, yes Richard Schaefer's PLEG has come in very handy. I have very few scenes now, replaced with PLEG functions

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics