Motion Sensor

• Contest Winner

So, during upgrading to 1.4, I am coming across some new issues. I know a lot of you have already solved them but I didn't see too much on the basic motion sensor, using this sketch:

#include <MySensor.h>  
    #include <SPI.h>

unsigned long SLEEP_TIME = 120000; // Sleep time between reports (in milliseconds)
    #define DIGITAL_INPUT_SENSOR 3   // The digital input you attached your motion sensor.      (Only 2 and 3 generates interrupt!)
    #define INTERRUPT DIGITAL_INPUT_SENSOR-2 // Usually the interrupt = pin -2 (on     uno/nano anyway)
    #define CHILD_ID 1   // Id of the sensor child

MySensor gw;
    // Initialize motion message
    MyMessage msg(CHILD_ID, V_TRIPPED);

void setup()  
    {  
      gw.begin();

// Send the sketch version information to the gateway and Controller
      gw.sendSketchInfo("Motion Sensor", "1.0");

pinMode(DIGITAL_INPUT_SENSOR, INPUT);      // sets the motion sensor digital pin as input
      // Register all sensors to gw (they will be created as child devices)
      gw.present(CHILD_ID, S_MOTION);

}

void loop()     
    {     
      // Read digital motion value
      boolean tripped = digitalRead(DIGITAL_INPUT_SENSOR) == HIGH; 

Serial.println(tripped);
      gw.send(msg.set(tripped?"1":"0"));  // Send tripped value to gw 

// Sleep until interrupt comes in on motion sensor. Send update every two minute. 
      gw.sleep(INTERRUPT,CHANGE, SLEEP_TIME);
    }

The MySensors basic sketch called for sleep (which I don't care to have, as my Motion Sensors are mains powered) so I edited that part out.

I just had too much radio traffic (affecting the network) and I thought better if I only transmitted on a state change versus every half second and then once a minute, sending an update... relying on the hardware to determine the length of the alarm time:

/*
    * Motion Sensor Version 1.1
    * October 15, 2014
    * Modified to transmit on state change versus every half second
    * removed Sleep for mains-only device
    * Updates gateway according to UPDATE_INTERVAL
    */
    #include <MySensor.h>  
    #include <SPI.h>
    //
    #define DIGITAL_INPUT_SENSOR 3
    #define CHILD_ID 1   // Id of the sensor child
    #define UPDATE_INTERVAL 60000UL
    #define DEBUG
    //
    boolean lastSensorState;
    unsigned long lastUpdate;
    //
    MySensor gw;
    MyMessage msg(CHILD_ID, V_TRIPPED);
    //
    void setup()  
    {  
      gw.begin();
      Serial.begin(115200);
      gw.sendSketchInfo("MotionSensorMains", "1.1");
      pinMode(DIGITAL_INPUT_SENSOR, INPUT);
      gw.present(CHILD_ID, S_MOTION);
    }
    //
    void loop()     
    { 
      boolean sensorState = digitalRead(DIGITAL_INPUT_SENSOR);
      if (sensorState != lastSensorState)
      {
        #ifdef DEBUG
          digitalWrite(13,sensorState? HIGH : LOW); 
          Serial.println(sensorState? "Tripped" : "Not Tripped");
        #endif
        gw.send(msg.set(sensorState?"1":"0"));  // Update gateway on change of state
        lastUpdate = millis(); // resets the update timer
      }
      lastSensorState = sensorState;
      updateStatus(UPDATE_INTERVAL);
    }
    //
    void updateStatus(unsigned long updateInterval)
    {
      if (millis() - lastUpdate >= updateInterval)
      {
        gw.send(msg.set(lastSensorState? "1" : "0"));
        #ifdef DEBUG
          digitalWrite(13,lastSensorState? HIGH : LOW); 
          Serial.println(lastSensorState? "Tripped" : "Not Tripped");
        #endif
        lastUpdate = millis();
      }
    }

It seems to work much better, but I wonder if this is really what I want to do. The good part is that I can remotely see if the node is in communication with the sensor (last update time. But then I thought that it may be better to only report the change of state, so that I can remotely see the last time it was tripped (or un-tripped, actually).

Does anyone have preferences or ideas or suggestions on this? I know it seems quite trivial, but the network performance started me down this path, and I have to say that it is much improved with the new sketch.

Screen Shot 2014-10-05 at 8.03.57 PM.png

• I didn't really understand (maybe my poor english? ;D)

What you want to do is sending value only if it change and after a minimum of X seconds?

I didn't realize how chatty the motion sensor node would be until I actually built one. I was surprised since I read everywhere that it had a 5s minimum delay / trigger time which I thought would be a safeguard against a flood of messages across the network. I now wonder if there are in fact different HC-SR501 modules with different delay / trigger settings? I've seen everything from 0.3-18s, 0.5-200s and 5-200s. At any rate, my node, at the minimum trimpot setting, would send damn near a few hundred messages in only a few seconds if I kept standing in front of the sensor.

Now, my concern here, from a battery standpoint, is how to best deal with this. Use the trimpot or implement some software solution that stops messages from being sent for a set time once it has been triggered. Which would be best from a battery saving standpoint? Does the HC-SR501 consume less power when using its own trigger delay? I don't quite get this.

• Contest Winner

I'd like to just send the change of state only, see a 1 when state changes to tripped and a zero when it changes to not-tripped. I trust that the sensor will output to the Arduino, but I'm not yet full of trust that the message gets sent and received, I guess.

• in your exemple, it's in the loop function you have a bug... try to replace it with this :

void loop()     
    { 
      boolean sensorState = digitalRead(DIGITAL_INPUT_SENSOR);
      if (sensorState != lastSensorState)
      {
        #ifdef DEBUG
          digitalWrite(13,sensorState? HIGH : LOW); 
          Serial.println(sensorState? "Tripped" : "Not Tripped");
        #endif
        gw.send(msg.set(sensorState?"1":"0"));  // Update gateway on change of state
        lastSensorState = sensorState;
      }
    }

It will send a message each time the value changes

• Contest Winner

it is not a bug.. I put in the minute by minute update in order to update the Vera device thusly, I can see if it is communicating on my Vera control panel or mobile app.

• ok, so i didn't understand the problem ;D sorry

• Contest Winner

I was just looking for alternative approaches.

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics