Can I use MySensors library to have one Sensor Transmitter and one Receiver without any Gateway

• I am 74 years old retired Telecom Engineer and new to MySensors forum. I like the MySensors Battery node for Soil Monitoring and using it with ESP8266 WiFi gateway. I also want to have a Simple setup just One Transmitter and One Receiver without any Gateway to monitor Soil Moisture (and Node's Battery) of my Green House. Any pointer will be greatly appreciated.

• Mod

Welcome to the forum @RagoTube

Yes, it can be done by using node to node communication and setting MY_PARENT_NODE_IS_STATIC and MY_PARENT_NODE_ID.

But it might be easier to use the plain radiohead library, since you would not need most features in MySensors.

• @mfalkvidd Thank you for your immediate solution. I will try it now.

• One little project and you're hooked! You know you're going to want another sensor in the yard, so consider a gateway running MQTT (called a broker). Once you have that, it's really easy to add more sensors.

But if you're really strong willed an will only be using two devices ever, you might look at https://nrf24.github.io/RF24/index.html. You can get an Arduino Nano and an nRF24 radio for about $3.50 from Aliexpress (downside: delivery takes ~2 months, so get 10 each.)

MySensors Library can do this, too, but I find it a little bloated.

Personal note: I'm 70, retired engineer, and have only four projects going right now.

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics