'Bad byte' error

• Hi.

I have justed connected my USB mysensors gateway. But im getting the 'bad byte' error. At first i didnt know that i should had installed the pyserial. But still after the install to pyserial 3.0.1. Im still getting the 'bad byte' error can some help, this is the log.

6-03-12 01:20:43 mysensors.mysensors: Trying to connect to /dev/ttyUSB1
    16-03-12 01:20:43 mysensors.mysensors: /dev/ttyUSB1 is open...
    16-03-12 01:20:43 mysensors.mysensors: Connected to /dev/ttyUSB1
    16-03-12 01:20:46 mysensors.mysensors: Error decoding message from gateway, probably received bad byte.

• Plugin Developer

@fleshfear

Hi!

Have you tried to keep running HA after the error to see if the next message comes through alright?

For me this error usually goes away after a restart of HA.

• Yes now the ha have been runing all night, with the gateway connected. And the 'bad byte' error is the last thing there is logge from mysensor.

• Plugin Developer

First try to disconnect and reconnect the usb to the arduino. Start hass. Make sure you connect to the correct port after reconnecting the usb. Sometimes the arduino will change port name.

If this doesn't help try another version of pyserial. 2.5 has been the least buggy for me. You can also try 2.7.

• I have tried connecthing and reconnecthing multiple times. But how do I down grade to 2.5, right now I have just installed 3.0.1?

• Plugin Developer

@fleshfear

pip3 install pyserial==2.5

• now i have 2.5. But still no luck. What to do.

• now i allso have this in my log

16-03-12 19:45:33 mysensors.mysensors: Error decoding message from gateway, probably received partial data before connection was complete.

• Plugin Developer

@fleshfear

Nothing else is accessing the serial port?

• no that i know of. Its a virtual machine dedicated to only ha. And i have just testet if it was the virtual enviroment there was to blame. But on indigo domistic the plugin for mysensors works and can talk to the gateway.

Im i missing something else like pyserial or?

Is the only thing needed ha and pyserial?

• Plugin Developer

Have you rebooted the machine after installing pyserial 2.5?

You can also check that there's no remains of other pyserial versions where the python packages are installed on your machine.

What distribution are you running?

• yep have rebooted, many times after that.

How do i check if there are any other version installed? I could not install pyserial just like you said, i had to run a

pip3 uninstall pyserial

first.

it' a ubuntu 15.10

• Plugin Developer

Python library files on Ubuntu are usually found in:

/usr/local/lib/pythonX.X/site-packages

• ls -la /usr/local/lib/python3.4/dist-packages/
    homeassistant/                  MarkupSafe-0.23.egg-info/       pytz-2015.7.dist-info/          vincenty/
    homeassistant-0.15.0.dist-info/ pip/                            PyYAML-3.11.egg-info/           vincenty-0.1.3.egg-info/
    jinja2/                         pip-8.1.0.dist-info/            requests/                       yaml/
    Jinja2-2.8.dist-info/           pyserial_py3k-2.5.egg-info/     requests-2.9.1.dist-info/       
    markupsafe/                     pytz/                           serial/  

• also don't know if, it is related.

but i had this in the configuration:

persistence_file: 'mysensors.json'

But every time i started the HA, the log said it couldnt find the file. But efter i removed it, and create the new file i couldnt find. the new log have this:

16-03-12 22:26:47 homeassistant.bootstrap: Error during setup of component mysensors
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/usr/local/lib/python3.4/dist-packages/homeassistant/bootstrap.py", line 105, in _setup_component
        if not component.setup(hass, config):
      File "/usr/local/lib/python3.4/dist-packages/homeassistant/components/mysensors.py", line 111, in setup
        port, persistence, persistence_file, version, baud_rate)
      File "/usr/local/lib/python3.4/dist-packages/homeassistant/components/mysensors.py", line 75, in setup_gateway
        baud=baud_rate)
      File "/var/opt/homeassistant/lib/mysensors/mysensors.py", line 277, in __init__
        persistence_file, protocol_version)
      File "/var/opt/homeassistant/lib/mysensors/mysensors.py", line 32, in __init__
        self._load_sensors()
      File "/var/opt/homeassistant/lib/mysensors/mysensors.py", line 162, in _load_sensors
        self._perform_file_action(self.persistence_file, 'load')
      File "/var/opt/homeassistant/lib/mysensors/mysensors.py", line 177, in _perform_file_action
        func(filename)
      File "/var/opt/homeassistant/lib/mysensors/mysensors.py", line 133, in _load_pickle
        self.sensors = pickle.load(file_handle)
    EOFError: Ran out of input

• the new config looks like this

mysensors:
      gateways:
        - port: '/dev/ttyUSB0'
          baud_rate: 38400
      debug: true
      persistence: true
      version: '1.5'
      optimistic: true

• Plugin Developer

Which arduino model are you using for the gateway?

• Its a nano.

• Plugin Developer

Did you change baudrate in MyConfig.h to 38400? Otherwise I think we've found the problem.

Nano can use the default 115200 baudrate in MyConfig.h. The baudrate in HA config has to match. You can remove that line and hass will default to 115200.

• no i haven't, so i have just removed the line, and restarted HA.
    But no luck. im still getting this.

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.4/dist-packages/homeassistant/bootstrap.py", line 105, in _setup_component
      File "/usr/local/lib/python3.4/dist-packages/homeassistant/components/mysensors.py", line 111, in setup
      File "/usr/local/lib/python3.4/dist-packages/homeassistant/components/mysensors.py", line 75, in setup_gateway
        baud=baud_rate)
        self._load_sensors()
      File "/var/opt/homeassistant/lib/mysensors/mysensors.py", line 162, in _load_sensors
      File "/var/opt/homeassistant/lib/mysensors/mysensors.py", line 177, in _perform_file_action
        func(filename)
      File "/var/opt/homeassistant/lib/mysensors/mysensors.py", line 133, in _load_pickle
        self.sensors = pickle.load(file_handle)
    EOFError: Ran out of input

• okay putting

persistence_file: 'mysensors.json'

Will get the gateway started. but will result in a file not found. if i put the correct path in like

persistence_file: '/var/opt/homeassistant/mysensors.json'

i get this in the log.

16-03-13 02:11:26 homeassistant.bootstrap: Error during setup of component mysensors
        baud=baud_rate)
        self._load_sensors()
        func(filename)
      File "/var/opt/homeassistant/lib/mysensors/mysensors.py", line 145, in _load_json
        self.sensors = json.load(file_handle, cls=MySensorsJSONDecoder)
      File "/usr/lib/python3.4/json/__init__.py", line 268, in load
        parse_constant=parse_constant, object_pairs_hook=object_pairs_hook, **kw)
      File "/usr/lib/python3.4/json/__init__.py", line 331, in loads
        return cls(**kw).decode(s)
      File "/usr/lib/python3.4/json/decoder.py", line 343, in decode
        obj, end = self.raw_decode(s, idx=_w(s, 0).end())
      File "/usr/lib/python3.4/json/decoder.py", line 361, in raw_decode
        raise ValueError(errmsg("Expecting value", s, err.value)) from None
    ValueError: Expecting value: line 1 column 1 (char 0)

• Plugin Developer

If you check the content of

/var/opt/homeassistant

What does it show?

• That's where all my configuration is. And there is a mysensors.json file present.

• Plugin Developer

Try deleting the json file and have the full path to the json file in the config, as before. Restart hass.

Edit: Also delete any pickle files, if any.

• full path and no file, gets me

File does not exist or is not readable: /var/opt/homeassistant/mysensors.json

but will get me a gateway started.

• Plugin Developer

That's fine, I think. If you check the contents of the folder again, you should see a json file again. It creates the file the first time.

• nope no file

• Plugin Developer

Oh yeah, I think it will create it when the first sensor is added.

Do you get the gateway started message now?

• Yes i have the gateway started, so i should try to start a sensor to see if it will make the json. and be present in the webgui

• Plugin Developer

Yes. Make sure you follow the presentation guide in the docs for mysensors on the HA web.

• thank you so much, that seem to do the trick. the gate way was started and the sensor was add, as soon as it was turned on.

• Plugin Developer

👍

I'll think about updating the docs at HA web, to explain things a bit more.

• Maybe also put in about the pyserial?

• Plugin Developer

Well pyserial should be installed automatically when you run hass the first time with mysensors activated in the config. There shouldn't be a need to do that on your own.

Are you sure it wasn't installed for you?

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics