RPi as a 'node'?

• Now I have a rpi 2, I am thinking of using the curent one to stream music and video in a room.

The thought occured to me that I could still attach a nrf24l01+ to this as well as sensors on the gpio. So I wondered if it's possible to have a pi as a node to send back data to the 'base' pi?

I would think it's possible to do, but how?

S.

• Hi Skywatch,

Not sure you are still looking into this.
    It can be done, and I have done it. Actually, all the documentation is there.
    You can directly connect the radio to the Pi2 and you could modify the PiSerialGateway not to act as a gateway, but simply use the sending part.

• @Bens
    Do you have a link to the documentation, please?
    /Kurt

• Contest Winner

I'm also interested in the link

• Ok - long delay I know, but I am now looking at this again.

Any updates out there?

• Mod

I'm not sure if anyone has actually tried it, but according to the documentation you can follow the instructions for creating a raspberry pi gateway, and turn it into a node by adding

--my-gateway=none

It would be interesting to hear what your use cases are. Wouldn't it be easier to send data over the rpi's network connection?

• Thanks for the fast reply!

As you know I am still on a learning curve with this, but getting more focused as I go.

My use case would be mainly to use a raspberry pi zero attached to touch screens at various locations for display and control. I think that this approach would give the best processing bang for the buck, certainly faster at screen refersh and processing that a pro mini. More memory too for the screen as well....

Secondly I would be thinking of using pi zero with a camera and using motion detection and the possibility to send snapshot images (not sure how to implement this yet!).

• Mod

@skywatch cool ideas. Thanks for sharing.

• @mfalkvidd Thanks for the helpful hints! 🙂 Theres a long cold winter to fill!

• Mod

0_1501275594860_IMG_1817.JPG

• 🙂 🙂 🙂

I forgot to add that the pi zeros should not be on ethernet or wifi and therefore I would like to do it all via the NRF24L01+. It would probably be cheaper to use android tablets, but that would require wifi (unless anyone has attached a working nrf to a tablet?) and wifi is not that secure.
    I have a lot to learn before I get to that point though! 😉

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics