Internet of Poultry - Fully automated chicken shed

• The goal of this project is to automate our chicken shed to such a level that the chickens can survive our summer vacation without outside help.

0_1469173555598_IoP cover.JPG
    The project is based on Domoticz(rPi) and MySensors (Sparkfun Redboard)
    Sensors in the shed :

• Temperature + humidity
    • Ambient light sensor
    • Current/voltage on the solar panels and on the motor
    • PIR sensor
    • End-of-run switches
    • Two buttons for local activation of the door

Actuators :

• DC motor for opening/closing the door
    • Relais for switching the inside light
    • Relais for switching the webcam

The board arduino shield for connecting all the wiring
    0_1469174937923_Shield.jpg

The complete installation
    From left to right : (temporary) router for remote USB connection for uploading sketches, Arduino with shields, DC motor, Solar charging controller.
    0_1469174994808_Complete installation.jpg

The shed in the making
    0_1469175138149_Shed in the making.jpg

The door mechanism & one of the end-of-run sensors
    0_1469175532912_Door machanism.jpg

Overview photo with solar panels
    0_1469175609860_Overview.jpg

• Admin

Awesome! I must show my sister this.. She recently started breeding chickens for the eggs.

• Hardware Contributor

Damn... now i have to get chickens πŸ˜‰

• Hardware Contributor

excellent πŸ‘ what a luxury poultry πŸ™‚

@stefaanv Pretty neat! although I would still ask somebody to keep an eye on your feathered friends... πŸ‘€

• Contest Winner

Awesome ⭐ Thumbs up from me πŸ‘

• You beat me to it, this is totally on my longer term list to accomplish for quail.

• Hardware Contributor

Cococoricooo
    hmm sorry, it was too hard to resist...I'm french πŸ˜…

• Admin

Cool project..

Two parts are missing though, what about food and water?

Is it a wifi enabled Webcam?

• @tbowmo Both food and water are "gravitationally supplied". There is a 15liter food and 1l water supply indoor and 12l water supply outdoor. These last for weeks.
    0_1469257021106_Food_water.jpg

Wifi webcam is connected to Synology NAS camera app for recording. The aim is to enable the camera 5min before and after the closing of the door. Outdoor camera is on the wish list. Camera's can be enabled both automatically and remotely (like the door). Good news is that the chickens are smart enough to move out of harms way when the door closes. I noticed that the chickens go indoor very punctually on the internet provided sun-down, so the lux sensors may not be needed after all.

Remaining isuues are collecting of eggs and droppings. Both are less urgent and much more difficult to accomplish.

• I've had a similar setup run for over a year. Last week my ln298 broke so the door doesn't open and close anymore. Waiting on spare parts. I have guillotine style door with reed switches on top and bottom.

• Is it important to know that all the chickens are in the coup before you close the door or are we just assuming they are all inside at a certain time?

• @TommySharp said:

Is it important to know that all the chickens are in the coup before you close the door or are we just assuming they are all inside at a certain time?

I use a light sensor and close the door at <5 lux. They are allways in by then.

• @TommySharp
    Maybe all the chickens needs to be wearing a RFID tag, and then clsoe door when all counted RFID tags are inside (RFID reader could maybe be close to water/food supply)

• @TommySharp, after some observation I set the light limit to 18 [something], I don't trust the light sensor to output Lux accurately. Till now they've always been inside when the door closes. They're social animal by the way, if one goes indoor at dawn, the other one follows within minutes.

• Mod

@stefaanv said:

when the door closes

Possible stupid question from someone with zero chicken knowledge : why do you have to close the door at night?

• Fox ! He like chicken for diner !

• Mod

@Fabien looks to be 1.5m fence around it, which could also keep the foxes out. But again, what do I know πŸ˜†

• @Yveaux said:

@Fabien looks to be 1.5m fence around it, which could also keep the foxes out. But again, what do I know πŸ˜†

I have fence too ... and fox ... But no more chicken ! 3 eaten in April !

• Yes, we have foxes (and rats) in the neighbourhood. Chicks get eaten if not locked up at night. The fence is only 1m high, but won't keep a fox away from the chickens.
    I thought about RfId, but question is if one reader will detect tags anywhere in the shed.
    Voice recognition is another option to account for all chickens. Maybe when I find the time. Pool automation must be taken care of first πŸ™‚
    Anyway, it works as it is. Just need to set the light level in between chicken bed time and fox lunch time.

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to MySensors Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.