Slim Node Si7021 sensor example

• Hardware Contributor

@carlierd You're welcome! It's "licensed" Public Domain, so use it as you wish. But of course - please make it open hardware if you come up with something.

I only measure the sensor nodes total sleep mode consumption and since the DHT22 requires a 3.3V booster (Iq ~90uA) it's hard to tell if it's exactly the same.

• @m26872 : I don't use booster. You think it's necessary ? 90uA is really important for battery operation.

For the design off course I will make it open hardware 🙂

David.

• Hardware Contributor

@carlierd What's your setup then? The DHT22 is for 3.3-5.5V.

• @m26872 I have built the Slim Node described above and i am using your exact sketch given above but when i look at the serial monitor, it is printing junk characters i tried different baud rates on the serial monitor but nothing works.

I am connected to the slim node using FTDI board.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for your help.

• Hardware Contributor

@ar91 Did you change baud rate in MySensors config too?

• Hardware Contributor

@m26872 There is another version of the SI7021 board without voltage regulator. This evening I will look up the link on Aliexpress. The boards are smaller then the GY-21 variant.

• Thanks @m26872, I changed the baud rate on MyConfig.h and it started working.

• @m26872 My nodes are working correctly for the moment. Actually one is at 2.8v. Perhaps I will have problem when voltage will be lower !

David.

• Hardware Contributor

@carlierd Probably. That's why I ask what you use. DHT22 connected straight to 2AA will not utilize battery capacity. Higher battery voltage with step down regulator would be better - or maybe without, but with like 3AAs or so.

• @carlierd With Slim Node running at 1Mhz even with or without booster i am having hardtime making DHT22 work. I even tried different libraries but none of them works at 1Mhz. How did you get it work?

• Hardware Contributor

@ar91 I don't think there's a good reason to go below 8MHz if DHT22 doesn't work much below 3.3V ?

• @m26872 Perhaps that with a caps I can go very low. I want to have at least one year on 2 AA. Wait and see !

• @ar91 Hello. I am using the arduino playground lib. No issue with it ! I can post a sketch if necessary.

David.

• @carlierd If you could share your code that will be great.

• @ar91 Please find the code I used in 3 different nodes. The good thing with the playground lib is that there is error message if dialog with DHT22 failed.

/**
     * The MySensors Arduino library handles the wireless radio link and protocol
     * between your home built sensors/actuators and HA controller of choice.
     * The sensors forms a self healing radio network with optional repeaters. Each
     * repeater and gateway builds a routing tables in EEPROM which keeps track of the
     * network topology allowing messages to be routed to nodes.
     * Created by Henrik Ekblad <henrik.ekblad@mysensors.org>
     * Copyright (C) 2013-2015 Sensnology AB
     * Full contributor list: https://github.com/mysensors/Arduino/graphs/contributors
     * Documentation: http://www.mysensors.org
     * Support Forum: http://forum.mysensors.org
     * This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
     * modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License
     * version 2 as published by the Free Software Foundation.
     */

/**************************************************************************************/
    /* Temperature, humidity and luminosity measurements.                                 */
    /*                                                                                    */
    /* Version     : 1.1.6                                                                */
    /* Date        : 10/01/2016                                                           */
    /* Modified by : David Carlier                                                        */
    /**************************************************************************************/
    /*                                ---------------                                     */
    /*                            RST |             |  A5                                 */
    /*                            RX  |             |  A4                                 */
    /*                            TX  |   ARDUINO   |  A3                                 */
    /*     RFM69 (DIO0) --------- D2  |     UNO     |  A2                                 */
    /*            DHT22 --------- D3  |             |  A1                                 */
    /*            Power --------- D4  | ATMEGA 328p |  A0 --------- Light dep. resistor   */
    /*              +3v --------- VCC |             | GND --------- GND                   */
    /*              GND --------- GND |  8MHz int.  | REF                                 */
    /*                            OSC |             | VCC --------- +3v                   */
    /*                            OSC |             | D13 --------- RFM69 (SCK)           */
    /*                            D5  |             | D12 --------- RFM69 (MISO)          */
    /*                            D6  |             | D11 --------- RFM69 (MOSI)          */
    /*                            D7  |             | D10 --------- RFM69 (NSS)           */
    /*                            D8  |             |  D9                                 */
    /*                                ---------------                                     */
    /*                                                                                    */
    /* Power = Vcc for LDR.                                                               */
    /* +3v = 2*AA                                                                         */

#include <SPI.h>
    #include <MySensor.h>
    #include <dht.h>
    #include <MyTransportRFM69.h>
    #include <MySigningAtsha204Soft.h>

#define CHILD_ID_HUM 0
    #define CHILD_ID_TEMP 1
    #define CHILD_ID_LIGHT 2
    #define CHILD_ID_VOLTAGE 3
    #define LIGHT_SENSOR_ANALOG_PIN 0
    #define HUMIDITY_SENSOR_DIGITAL_PIN 3
    #define POWER_PIN 4
    //unsigned long SLEEP_TIME = 850000; // Sleep time between reads (in milliseconds) (close to 15')
    unsigned long SLEEP_TIME = 275000; // Sleep time between reads (in milliseconds) (close to 5')

//Construct MySensors library
    MySigningAtsha204Soft signer;
    MyHwATMega328 hw;
    MyTransportRFM69 transport;
    MySensor gw(transport, hw, signer);
    dht DHT;
    MyMessage msgHum(CHILD_ID_HUM, V_HUM);
    MyMessage msgTemp(CHILD_ID_TEMP, V_TEMP);
    MyMessage msgLum(CHILD_ID_LIGHT, V_LEVEL);
    MyMessage msgVolt(CHILD_ID_VOLTAGE, V_VOLTAGE);

/* Initialization                                                                     */
    void setup()
      {
      //Get time (for setup duration)
      #ifdef DEBUG
        unsigned long startTime = millis();
      #endif

//Start MySensors
      gw.begin();

//Send the Sketch Version Information to the Gateway
      gw.sendSketchInfo("GHAS sensor", "1.1.5");

//Register all sensors to gw (they will be created as child devices)
      gw.present(CHILD_ID_HUM, S_HUM);
      gw.present(CHILD_ID_TEMP, S_TEMP);
      gw.present(CHILD_ID_LIGHT, S_LIGHT_LEVEL);
      gw.present(CHILD_ID_VOLTAGE, S_MULTIMETER);

//Delay for DHT22
      delay(1500);

//Print setup debug
      #ifdef DEBUG
        int duration = millis() - startTime;
        Serial.print("[Setup duration: "); Serial.print(duration, DEC); Serial.println(" ms]");
      #endif
      }

/* Main loop                                                                          */
    void loop()
      {
      //Get time (for a complete loop)
      #ifdef DEBUG
        unsigned long startTime = millis();
      #endif

//Power on
      powerOnPeripherals();

//Get DHT22 data
      int dht22Result = DHT.read22(HUMIDITY_SENSOR_DIGITAL_PIN);
      switch (dht22Result)
        {
        case DHTLIB_OK:  
                    //Serial.println("OK,\t");
                    break;
        case DHTLIB_ERROR_CHECKSUM:
                    #ifdef DEBUG
                      Serial.println("Checksum error,\t");
                    #endif
                    break;
        case DHTLIB_ERROR_TIMEOUT:
                    #ifdef DEBUG
                      Serial.println("Time out error,\t");
                    #endif
                    break;
        case DHTLIB_ERROR_CONNECT:
                    #ifdef DEBUG
                      Serial.println("Connect error,\t");
                    #endif
                    break;
        case DHTLIB_ERROR_ACK_L:
                    #ifdef DEBUG
                      Serial.println("Ack Low error,\t");
                    #endif
                    break;
        case DHTLIB_ERROR_ACK_H:
                    #ifdef DEBUG
                      Serial.println("Ack High error,\t");
                    #endif
                    break;
        default:
                    #ifdef DEBUG
                      Serial.println("Unknown error,\t");
                    #endif
                    break;
        }

//Get temperature and humidity
      float temperature = 0;
      float humidity = 0;
      if (dht22Result == DHTLIB_OK)
        {
        temperature = DHT.temperature;
        humidity = DHT.humidity;
        }

//Get power before luminosity to use real voltage
      float realVoltage = getVoltage() / 100.0;
      int batteryPcnt = realVoltage * 100 / 3.0;
      if (batteryPcnt > 100) {batteryPcnt = 100;}
      int lux = computeIlluminance(realVoltage);

//Power off
      powerOffPeripherals();

//Send data to gateway
      gw.send(msgHum.set(humidity, 1));
      gw.send(msgTemp.set(temperature, 1));
      gw.send(msgLum.set(lux));
      gw.send(msgVolt.set(realVoltage, 2));
      gw.sendBatteryLevel(batteryPcnt);

//Print debug
      #ifdef DEBUG
        Serial.print(temperature, 1);
        Serial.print(" degC");
        Serial.print("   ");
        Serial.print(humidity, 1);
        Serial.print(" %");
        Serial.print("   ");
        Serial.print(lux);
        Serial.print(" lx");
        Serial.print("   ");
        Serial.print(realVoltage);
        Serial.print(" v");
        int duration = millis() - startTime;
        Serial.print("   ");
        Serial.print("["); Serial.print(duration, DEC); Serial.println(" ms]");
        Serial.flush();
      #endif

//Sleep
      gw.sleep(SLEEP_TIME);
      }

/* Allows to compute illuminance (in LUX) from LIGHT_SENSOR_ANALOG_PIN.               */
    int computeIlluminance(float realVoltage)
      {
      //Get luminosity
      int luminosity = analogRead(LIGHT_SENSOR_ANALOG_PIN);
      //Calculating the voltage in the input of the ADC
      double voltage = realVoltage * ((double)luminosity / 1024.0);
      //Calculating the resistance of the photoresistor in the voltage divider
      double resistance = (10.0 * realVoltage) / voltage - 10.0;
      //Calculating the intensity of light in lux and return it
      int illuminance = 255.84 * pow(resistance, -10/9);
      return illuminance;
      }

/* Allows to get the real Vcc (return value * 100).                                   */
    int getVoltage()
      {
      const long InternalReferenceVoltage = 1056L;
      ADMUX = (0<<REFS1) | (1<<REFS0) | (0<<ADLAR) | (1<<MUX3) | (1<<MUX2) | (1<<MUX1) | (0<<MUX0);
      delay(50);  // Let mux settle a little to get a more stable A/D conversion
      //Start a conversion  
      ADCSRA |= _BV( ADSC );
      //Wait for it to complete
      while (((ADCSRA & (1<<ADSC)) != 0));
      //Scale the value
      int result = (((InternalReferenceVoltage * 1023L) / ADC) + 5L) / 10L;
      return result;
      }

/* Allows to power ON peripherals.                                                    */
    void powerOnPeripherals()
      {
      //Power-up
      pinMode (POWER_PIN, OUTPUT);
      digitalWrite (POWER_PIN, HIGH);
      delay(1);
      }

/* Allows to power OFF peripherals.                                                   */
    void powerOffPeripherals()
      {
      //Power off
      digitalWrite (HUMIDITY_SENSOR_DIGITAL_PIN, LOW);
      digitalWrite (POWER_PIN, LOW);
      pinMode (HUMIDITY_SENSOR_DIGITAL_PIN, INPUT);
      pinMode (POWER_PIN, INPUT);
      }

Hope it helps !

David.

• @carlierd Thank you very much. I really like your comment on the top 👍

• Progress!

http://imgur.com/zRvXvrN
    http://imgur.com/KpB7daz

A question though. To get to this point, I copied the pictures posted above, but where do I now add these resistors?

http://imgur.com/6mKJcgE

Also, if I want to add a 2AA battery cage, where do I connect the red and black wires to?

Thanks! And sorry for the newb questions!

• Hardware Contributor

@rsachoc What you show are not resistors, they look like capacitors. 104 means 100nF (I think). Can you measure their value ?

• @carlierd Are you running your Atmega at 1Mhz, Because I tried to use your sketch and i am getting "Checksum Error".

• @GertSanders indeed they are capacitors (silly me) - apparently they are 0.1uf - the black one I have already soldered is 4.7uf

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to MySensors Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.