Multisensor PIR based on IKEA Molgan

• I have created a Multi sensor PIR including a dallas temp measurement and LDR light measurment. For the PIR I wanted to use the Original PIR but it got "destroyed" during my investigation. The Pir runs on two AAA as I have removed the voltage regulator on my arduino pro mini.
    0_1461762533494_image1.jpg
    2_1461762533494_image3.jpg0_1461765109880_image5.jpg 1_1461762533494_image2.jpg
    3_1461762533494_image4.jpg

• Admin

Just looked up "Molgan" on ikea.com, it doesn't say anything about including PIR / Motion detection? Only that it's a LED lamp

How well does it work with the large Fresnel lens?

@tbowmo I got hooked up too πŸ˜„ and found this: http://www.terenceang.com/archives/31

• So far I do not see a big difference with the Original smaller lens. Although the detection from the side is limited. But that's about the same as the Original.

Inside there is a PIR in combination with 5 leds and a photodiode. As soon as it gets dark the PIR is active and as soon as movement is detected the leds are switched on for about 30 sec.
    The IKEA PIR is based on BIS0001 chip, which is a very common chip. When High it has an output of about 1,8 volt. Via a transistor the leds are switch on. Although there are three batteries in the housing the PIR runs also very well on two. (3.3 volt)

• @TimO Yes if have read this post too, but here he has used an optocoupler. Which is not necessary if you reduce the input to 3 volt... makes it more easy. Or even use the 1,8 volt as input. But don't short circuit it with the input pin next to it.... as the PIR will stay high forever.😈
    0_1461769323939_PIR1.jpg
    0_1461769341400_PIR2.jpg

• Hardware Contributor

@dynamite
    nice clean hack πŸ™‚
    Could you tell me what is the overall thickness please? I think I will try to buy one just to see how fit some of my multisensors boards inside..even if i will use 3d printing which cost less $ in plastic, it's still a very nice alternative to have at hand.
    Maybe you could use some i2c sensors to improve your power consumption.
    Thx for your share πŸ˜‰

• Mod

@dynamite Great hack!
    Especially when using the combination of original PIR, enclosure and battery holder for E 5,-.
    Can't be beaten! πŸ‘

• @Yveaux And very easy to detach as it has a base plate as well...
    0_1461770137513_ikea1.jpg

• @scalz What dimensions are you exactly looking for?
    Here you have some photos:
    1_1461770194862_ikea4.jpg 0_1461770194861_ikea3.jpg

• Hardware Contributor

@dynamite awesome, thx πŸ™‚
    oh no, please no more pics πŸ˜‹ lol it's very cool hack 😍

• Admin

Think I have to visit ikea tomorrow, and bring home a couple of samples πŸ™‚

Only about 5$...

• @tbowmo I think I am going to buy some IKEA shares....πŸ˜€

• Hardware Contributor

7€ here...french conversion 😠
    it's at one hour from my home..but I think I will visit too this weekend. well done, now I can't wait πŸ™‚

• @scalz @tbowmo Looking forward to see you results! Now that my prototype is finished of course I am going to buy some more as well. Here "only" €4,99 for an item

• Hi,
    is it possible to describe, how to wire the original PIR, with the Arduino?

I have some Molgan's here and want to mod them, if i can use the original PIR, it would be perfect πŸ™‚

Maybe an HowTo?

Many Thanks

• @Floca hi the Original Ikea Pir, I kind of destroyed during the "investigation". I my previous post I have posted a picture of the pir inside. I would feed the pir with either 2 or 3 batteries. (3/4,5v) after that you can either use the signal directly after the chip. Th is is 1,8v but I don't know if the arduino takes that as high..? If not you can take the signal at the resistors of the LEDs. The voltage level here is depending on your battery infeed. So either 3v or 4,5v. Don't think both will be a problem for the arduino. To eliminate the led you can take away one or more resistors.
    Maybe somebody can say more
    About the allowable Voltage levels. For battery live a 3v pro mini would be better. For ease of use a 5v version would be better

• After I have bought some new one I will try to make a how to....

• PLEASE! A How to would be amazing! Looking forward to it!

• I now have a fresh supply of Molgan to be modified. And I will post my modification of the existing board soon. Status I can now use the input of the existing PIR signal. And I have discovered that by sending out a high or low on one of the arduino pins I can switch the existing LED on / off. Of course I can use a relay function to control but as it is running on batteries the sensor has to sleep. I was thinking of sending out a parameter (true / false) which enables the sensor to activate the LED on a trigger of the PIR. How could I send over this parameter? Any (creative) idea's as the sensor is sleeping most of the time?

Now I am thinking of it, could it be possible that such a value is read by the sensor when the sensor is getting out of the sleep function.

• Cool canΒ΄t wait for this,have bought 6 Molgans last week πŸ‘

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to MySensors Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.