💬 Building an Ethernet Gateway

• Admin

This thread contains comments for the article "Building an Ethernet Gateway" posted on MySensors.org.

• i have this problem:

0;255;3;0;9;Starting gateway (RNNGA-, 2.0.0)
    0;255;3;0;9;TSM:INIT
    0;255;3;0;9;!TSM:RADIO:FAIL
    0;255;3;0;9;!TSM:FAILURE
    0;255;3;0;9;TSM:PDT

i use ENC28J60 module . arduino nano + nrf24 + 4.7uf
    this code:

#define MY_DEBUG 

// Enable and select radio type attached
    #define MY_RADIO_NRF24
    //#define MY_RADIO_RFM69

// When ENC28J60 is connected we have to move CE/CSN pins for NRF radio
    #define MY_RF24_CE_PIN 5
    #define MY_RF24_CS_PIN 6

// Enable gateway ethernet module type 
    #define MY_GATEWAY_ENC28J60

// Gateway IP address
    #define MY_IP_ADDRESS 192,168,0,110

// The port to keep open on node server mode / or port to contact in client mode
    #define MY_PORT 5003   

// Controller ip address. Enables client mode (default is "server" mode). 
    // Also enable this if MY_USE_UDP is used and you want sensor data sent somewhere. 
    //#define MY_CONTROLLER_IP_ADDRESS 192, 168, 178, 254   

// The MAC address can be anything you want but should be unique on your network.
    // Newer boards have a MAC address printed on the underside of the PCB, which you can (optionally) use.
    // Note that most of the Ardunio examples use  "DEAD BEEF FEED" for the MAC address.
    #define MY_MAC_ADDRESS 0xDE, 0xAD, 0xBE, 0xEF, 0xFE, 0xED

// Flash leds on rx/tx/err
    #define MY_LEDS_BLINKING_FEATURE
    // Set blinking period
    #define MY_DEFAULT_LED_BLINK_PERIOD 300

// Enable inclusion mode
    #define MY_INCLUSION_MODE_FEATURE
    // Enable Inclusion mode button on gateway
    #define MY_INCLUSION_BUTTON_FEATURE
    // Set inclusion mode duration (in seconds)
    #define MY_INCLUSION_MODE_DURATION 60 
    // Digital pin used for inclusion mode button
    #define MY_INCLUSION_MODE_BUTTON_PIN  3 

#define MY_DEFAULT_ERR_LED_PIN 7  // Error led pin
    #define MY_DEFAULT_RX_LED_PIN  8  // Receive led pin
    #define MY_DEFAULT_TX_LED_PIN  9  // the PCB, on board LED

#include <SPI.h>
    #include <UIPEthernet.h>
    #include <MySensors.h>

void setup()
    {
    }

void loop() {
    }```

• Would like to use MQTT gateway using RFM69. The RFM69 cannot be used with W5100 because of soft-spi, is this still the case? Can it then be used with ENC28J60?

• Hardware Contributor

@gvorster
    hello, i'm working on rfm69 (refactorization and adding features), which will support softspi and w5100, and uses a lot less memory. might be available soon.

• @scalz said:

@gvorster
    hello, i'm working on rfm69 (refactorization and adding features), which will support softspi and w5100, and uses a lot less memory. might be available soon.

Great, looking forward to it!

• Hi, i i try compile GatewayW5100.ino on this page then result is compiler error:

Arduino: 1.6.12 (Windows 10), Board: "Arduino Nano, ATmega328"

In file included from C:\Users\M\Documents\Arduino\libraries\MySensors-master/drivers/RF24/RF24.cpp:23:0,

from C:\Users\M\Documents\Arduino\libraries\MySensors-master/MySensors.h:261,

from C:\Users\M\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_modified_sketch_502474\sketch_oct22a.ino:116:

C:\Users\M\Documents\Arduino\libraries\MySensors-master/drivers/RF24/RF24.h:34:31: error: 'SPI_MODE0' was not declared in this scope

#define MY_RF24_SPI_DATA_MODE SPI_MODE0

^

C:\Users\M\Documents\Arduino\libraries\MySensors-master/drivers/RF24/RF24.h:38:76: note: in expansion of macro 'MY_RF24_SPI_DATA_MODE'

SoftSPI<MY_SOFT_SPI_MISO_PIN, MY_SOFT_SPI_MOSI_PIN, MY_SOFT_SPI_SCK_PIN, MY_RF24_SPI_DATA_MODE> _SPI;

^

C:\Users\M\Documents\Arduino\libraries\MySensors-master/drivers/RF24/RF24.h:38:97: error: template argument 4 is invalid

SoftSPI<MY_SOFT_SPI_MISO_PIN, MY_SOFT_SPI_MOSI_PIN, MY_SOFT_SPI_SCK_PIN, MY_RF24_SPI_DATA_MODE> _SPI;

^

C:\Users\M\Documents\Arduino\libraries\MySensors-master/drivers/RF24/RF24.h:38:103: error: invalid type in declaration before ';' token

^

In file included from C:\Users\M\Documents\Arduino\libraries\MySensors-master/MySensors.h:261:0,

from C:\Users\M\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_modified_sketch_502474\sketch_oct22a.ino:116:

C:\Users\M\Documents\Arduino\libraries\MySensors-master/drivers/RF24/RF24.cpp: In function 'uint8_t RF24_spiMultiByteTransfer(uint8_t, uint8_t*, uint8_t, bool)':

C:\Users\M\Documents\Arduino\libraries\MySensors-master/drivers/RF24/RF24.cpp:44:24: error: request for member 'transfer' in '_SPI', which is of non-class type 'int'

uint8_t status = _SPI.transfer( cmd );

^

C:\Users\M\Documents\Arduino\libraries\MySensors-master/drivers/RF24/RF24.cpp:47:18: error: request for member 'transfer' in '_SPI', which is of non-class type 'int'

status = _SPI.transfer( NOP );

^

C:\Users\M\Documents\Arduino\libraries\MySensors-master/drivers/RF24/RF24.cpp:49:24: error: request for member 'transfer' in '_SPI', which is of non-class type 'int'

} else status = _SPI.transfer(*current++);

^

C:\Users\M\Documents\Arduino\libraries\MySensors-master/drivers/RF24/RF24.cpp: In function 'bool RF24_initialize()':

C:\Users\M\Documents\Arduino\libraries\MySensors-master/drivers/RF24/RF24.cpp:261:7: error: request for member 'begin' in '_SPI', which is of non-class type 'int'

_SPI.begin();

^

exit status 1
    Error compiling for board Arduino Nano.

This report would have more information with
    "Show verbose output during compilation"
    option enabled in File -> Preferences.

Could you please help?

Thanks.

• Mod

If anyone answers @Marek-Běluša, please answer in https://forum.mysensors.org/topic/5159/ethernet-gateway-compile-error/ to avoid working in two different threads. Do not answer here.

@Marek-Běluša please do not post the same question in more than one place.

• I've spent hours and hours to get the W5100 Ethernet Module working on my Arduino Nano board and unfortunately without success. I'm using the MySensors version 2.0 with the Arduino AVR Boards 1.6.15 installed. I don't understand the issue at all. I cannot ping W5100 should, not if I use a static IP or if I configure to use DHCP. I've tested it with and without the NRF24L01 Radio connected and no luck. I've checked the wires already 10 times. This is the wire-ring info:
    W5100 <=> Arduino Nano
    VDD <=> Pin 27 / +5V
    NSS <=> Pin 13 / D10
    MOSI <=> Pin 14 / D11
    GND <=> Pin 4
    SCK <=> Pin 16 / D13
    MISO <=> Pin 15 / D12

Is this the correct wire configuration? What else can I do to debug this?

On the W5100 I see the link led blinking on a regular basis almost at the same time as the Rx led, but I read that this HW issue and doesn't influence the behaviour of the ethernet board. Is this correct? If not, how to resolve this?

Looking forward to hints and tips as I'm completely lost on this topic.

• Mod

@rbighouse have you seen the wiring guide in the page linked in the first post in this thread?

• @mfalkvidd yes I've read that, even multiple times. I've check the wiring 10 times as well and cannot find a difference. Also changed to another W5100 board as well as a different Arduino Uno board to make sure it is not a board issue. The problem stays the same. What I've noticed as a difference is that my W5100 runs on 5V and not on 3.3V as indicated in the wiring table. Connecting the W5100 with 3.3V doesn't start (boot up) the board.

• Just thought I'd mention that I've had good experience with adding a capacitor between GND and VCC for the ethernet module as well.
    Same approach as for wiring the radio. https://www.mysensors.org/build/connect_radio

Previously had problems with GW disconnecting (Eth: disconnect) which is now reduced.

• Same problem like Reza, same error messages AND I USING ethernet shield, ARDUINO MEGA AND nrf24

• And using ARDUINO 1 the same problem.
    0;255;3;0;9;Starting gateway (RNNGA-, 2.0.0)

• Had lots of issues getting this to work. The issue seems to be with the ethernet part, as I only have an ethernet board attached I removed the lines for the radio and the pin redirection. Still the code kept restarting all the time or just not being able to connect the controller.

AVR version of the Arduino 1.8.0 kit needs to be downgraded. I had 1.6.16 and downgraded to 1.6.11.

Open Arduino. Tools > Board: xxxxx > Boards manager... > Click "Arduino AVR Boards" > Select Version > 1.6.11

Recompile and you are good.

• Hi @DallieNL ,
    thanks for your tips,
    I got the same issue with serial gateway, 1.6.11 is the best.

David.

• Would it be possible to build an MQTT gateway using the ESP8266 WiFi Gateway?

• Admin

@mpp said:

Would it be possible to build an MQTT gateway using the ESP8266 WiFi Gateway?

Yes, the MQTT gateway works on ESP as well.

• Anyone have an instruction to set up a W5500 ethernet gateway?

• Hardware Contributor

@LaMB95
    For the moment, i don't think there is an howto regarding w5500 as we're mostly using w5100, but maybe you can find some infos in this topic https://forum.mysensors.org/topic/2901/my-ethernet-gateway-board-w5500

• Hi All,
    I have an ethernet gateway base on arduino Pro mini with NRF24L01 radio and Funding ethernet card with W5100 chips. (As per description of this page)
    All works fine when I'm connected to it with Arduino IDE. Works for hours/days.
    If I unplug the IDE (disconnect USB) and run it alone it stop working after for minutes or few hours.
    I have only one sensor (temperature) to test. It send Temperature and battery level every 10s (testing). Led attached to Gateway to show the traffic lit up twice each time it receive the information from the sensor. The LED lit up twice like half a second when everything is fine. Easy to see.
    When the issue starts, the led lit up time to time but very quickly, and even very difficult to see. Some time I can ping the Gateway, some time not.
    Any idea from anybody ?

Looks like your connection to MySensors Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.