Home Security Motion Trigger Monitor

• I am new to the forum, and appreciate everything all of you have done; especially for someone like me that needs assistance programing.

I am working on a home security/automation project. Additionally, I will focus on irrigation for my garden beds. I am using a combination of Arduino's (MEGA, NANO, and Micro), a Veralite, and plan on providing 9-12v power to all of my nodes. The entire system will run off of solar power battery banks; either 12v or 24v; I have the necessary DC to DC step down converters for 24V.

As part of my security system, I would like to use multiple motion detectors around my property. I have a few motion sensors talking successfully to the Vera, but I would also like to have a separate Arduino that monitors when a motion sensor is triggered, which will be represented by a RGB LED (similar to other LCD display projects, but with LEDs). Let's say I have 10 motion sensors, then I will have 10 different LEDs depicting the status of the triggered state. If the device has not been triggered, then the corresponding led will be green. Once triggered, the led color will change to red and begin blinking, and continue to blink until I acknowledge the trigger; I would like to use a momentary button for the acknowledgement (a button per led). After acknowledging the trigger by pressing the button, the LED will go to solid red. If I press the button again, the led will return to green. I hope this makes sense.

My idea is to have an Arduino that receives/monitors the motion sensor messages and sets the LED status and waits until acknowledgement, all of which is not impacted by the normal interrupts/sleep times occurring on the node/Veralite. Additionally, I want to be able to conduct other automation tasks using the Vera, such as turning on/off lights.

Can someone point me to a forum thread which might get me started? Do I need to develop this separate Arduino monitor, or do you think it can be done on the Vera?

• Contest Winner

@griffinsaic said:

Can someone point me to a forum thread which might get me started? Do I need to develop this separate Arduino monitor, or do you think it can be done on the Vera?

something like this:

http://forum.mysensors.org/topic/446/scene-controller/12

or this?

http://forum.mysensors.org/topic/685/vera-helper-with-arduino/3

• Thanks for the reply. I am not looking to use an LCD, although that may be the best solution. For now, I plan on creating a simple set of LEDs and buttons.

I have looked over the code, and was wondering which part of the code is retrieving the status of a sensor? What if I have multiple motion sensors, how would I retrieve each unique value?

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics