Moisture penetrates my outdoor enclosures...

• Hi there! I have a few moisture safe enclosures for outdoor sensor. At least, that's what I thought but inspecting one of them today due to failure (see attached image below) made me aware that they are not moisture safe at all. They even seem to suck moisture from the outside and store it inside the box.

I guess that the plastic that the box is made of isn't moisture proof.

If some of you guys have experience to share with me on this topic I'd appreciate it a lot. I'd like to rebuild this repeater node using an enclosure that does not allow moisture to enter it and eventually destroy the electronics. Stability of operation and an enclosure that resists the environmental challenges that it will face has a much higher priority than the cost of the enclosure.

62caf6c3-0a95-4524-83dc-db853ac6009f-image.png

Cheers!

• Hello @รอเร-อ

I have never managed to build a box 100% waterproof.

Water always find a path 🙂

Maybe you could try to make a small hole at the bottom to let the condensation leaving.

But then some spiders can go inside and shortcut some wires 🙂

GreatScott has done some video about waterproofing, like this one:
    How to Waterproof Electronics || Nail Polish, Silicone, Potting Compound – 07:49
    — GreatScott!

• @Jodaille said in Moisture penetrates my outdoor enclosures...:

Hello @รอเร-อ

I have never managed to build a box 100% waterproof.

Water always find a path 🙂

Maybe you could try to make a small hole at the bottom to let the condensation leaving.

But then some spiders can go inside and shortcut some wires 🙂

GreatScott has done some video about waterproofing, like this one:
    How to Waterproof Electronics || Nail Polish, Silicone, Potting Compound – 07:49
    — GreatScott!

Thanks @Jodaille I'll have a look at that.

• @รอเร-อ 2 thoughts here....

How is the box attached to the timber?

Did you use the seal provided with the box?

From what I recall these boxes are cheap chinese with a string of rubber like sealant that goes into the groove around the cover and base. There 'should' 4 holes that allow you to attach the box to the timber that sit outside the seal. If however you've drilled through the back of the box to screw into the timber, the chances are that moisture has got in that way.

Looking at your picture the plastic seems to be degrading so the chances are the seals have too.

I've recently seem a product on sale in electrical suppliers that is a waterproof gel (a bit like silicon) that is poured or injected into outdoor electrical junction boxes. It's called "Electical Waterproof Gel". I don't know whether it's got any RF implications, but it supposed to be IP68 rated and safe up to 1000v. Might be worth investigating.

• I have managed to bring life to my old node after replacing the cables and the connectors. Now I'm planning to bake all the electronics into Bekateq Epoxy Resin... That includes the RF24 radio as well and I'm actually a little worried about how that will work. Radio modules are kind of sensitive but I will give it a try. Maybe someone tried that already?

Cheers!

• Banned

HI รอเรือ,as I know ,we should prevent the water being into the something electrical cables,but what if occur this status,consider about using safety,we should've checked the the old node's user manual or search from internet,whether suitable for replace the cables and connector,and adjust the tempreture to bake electronics,hope it could do your favor,tks.

• @FredC said in Moisture penetrates my outdoor enclosures...:

@รอเร-อ 2 thoughts here....

How is the box attached to the timber?

Did you use the seal provided with the box?

From what I recall these boxes are cheap chinese with a string of rubber like sealant that goes into the groove around the cover and base. There 'should' 4 holes that allow you to attach the box to the timber that sit outside the seal. If however you've drilled through the back of the box to screw into the timber, the chances are that moisture has got in that way.

Looking at your picture the plastic seems to be degrading so the chances are the seals have too.

I've recently seem a product on sale in electrical suppliers that is a waterproof gel (a bit like silicon) that is poured or injected into outdoor electrical junction boxes. It's called "Electical Waterproof Gel". I don't know whether it's got any RF implications, but it supposed to be IP68 rated and safe up to 1000v. Might be worth investigating.

You are right about that, the box I used was of low quality and I should have put greater effort finding a more suitable and rated outdoor enclosure in the first place. Trying to improve it with silicone and other stuff won't last long so what happened was actually quite expected.

I have ordered (will arrive today) some electric cast resin. I'll give it a try and I'll pay better attention to shield my outdoor enclosures in the future. Doing that needs some studying, it's not trivial.

Cheers!

• @รอเร-อ I've used Gewiss modular light switch boxes for years and no problems experienced - Winters go down to -20 and summer up to 45, and no appearance of condensation. 20230715_094909[1].jpg
    The front section has a clear flexible plastic window which hinges at the top, the front and main box are separated by a gasket, by undoing 4 screws.
    I separate the front from the back then cut off the modular catch tangs with a dremel to give more space.
    Inserting the antenna down through one of the grommets makes it totally weatherproof.
    If opening it up in damp or humid weather, I chuck in a dessicant bag before closing it to mop up any residual moisture in the box.

• Banned

Hi ,

Is it brand new plastic box?are you goona do some test for something?I would like to help if anything here,tks.

BR
    Jalina

• @Jalina-He If that question was directed at me - No, it is not new, but 6 years old but as yet unused - You can see the original 4 module tangs still uncut through the clear plastic window.

• I bought 2, 3 and 4 module cases at the same time and tried slightly cheaper copies which failed over time (leaked, transparent plastic degraded), the Gewiss originals remain almost as new despite years of exposure to snow, rain and UV - Higher quality.
      eg - This is the smallest one used, a 2 module unit serving as a wiring junction box between the pump station and the Node, with an ultrasonic sensor control board mounted in the front section for quick swap should it become faulty.20230720_060133.jpg

• Banned

Hi,Zboblamont,

Very glad to hear news from you,what about ultrasonic sensor control board mounted in other place,eg at the behind would be safer and waterproof?how many QTY do you need ,we can figure it out the best solution if really nail on it,tks.

BR
    Jalina

• @Jalina-He I'm not sure I understand your question over position of the ultrasonic board - It is mounted forward to enable quick access/replacement via the hinged front access, there is no advantage to pushing it further back.

The hinged access door and the two parts of the box have waterproof seals - The clear plastic window allows quick inspection and to see what leds are blinking - The mounting points on the rear box are on the outside of the sealed compartment.
    If Gewiss is available in your market I can totally recommend these waterproof lightswitch boxes.

• This may sound crazy, and may not be an option after saturation, but what about putting a silica gel pack in there?

• Banned

@zboblamont
    It is quite into for this item,what about study the direction for waterproof & dustproof & strong anti-interference,precise approach no blind spot,just try to provide high capability product with rather lower cost,maybe welcome in every market,could you design something product like this?

• @Jalina-He Why would I wish to design a product when commercial manufacturers already manufacture them for other functions which can be re-purposed ?

I have no vested interest in Gewiss, but I do know from experience that these weatherproof light switch boxes work exceedingly well, which is why I first commented.

eg - My Gas meter node has been in such a box for 6 years now with no signs of any damage to any of the unprotected parts within it, or degradation of the plastics over 6 winters and summers - The only interruption to continuous service has been changing batteries or reprogramming the Node.

• Banned

@zboblamont

What kind of recycle item it is?should be changed any part inside as time goes by,what do you think of PCB ,as time goes by,it could be overdued,tks.

BR
    Jalina

• @Jalina-He Having re-read all 6 of your contributions since you first joined this forum 11 days ago to make sure, it appears you have no interest in nor experience of this hobby.

On your latest odd and final question I am prepared to answer - Plastic can be recycled when it is no longer of use - Batteries - The PCB is as good as the day it was installed - PCB's don't become (sic) overdued.

• Banned

@zboblamont said in Moisture penetrates my outdoor enclosures...:

(sic) overdued

sorry to make you not quite happy,even though I am not professional on unltrasonic sensor application fabrication, I was trying to solve your any problem here,anyway,all I concern is about your request of component inside,maybe I can find a way to do your favor if you need,thx for understand

BR
    Jalina

• i use the simplest boxes that you find,that suface mount with 4 screws and ruber on door.
    But be carefull with wall mount screws. if you drill the back of the box ,water come in beind this box. so this ones,the scrfew holes are outside the encosure an box is sealed...
    another tip is drill on bottom for pass cables but put some neutral silicone. hot glue let water come in with time because expansion coeficient is diferent that the plastic box and open gaps

4c9e3f72-078c-46a9-9750-e0f495712c7c-image.png

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics