💬 MySWeMosGWShield - WeMos Mini MySensors Gateway Shield

• Did you check if the WeMos does have enough power on the 3.3V output to power the NRF24L01_PA+LNA module without resetting itself?

• Hardware Contributor

Yes, everything worked fine with a PA+LNA module or a RFM69HW using the WeMos 3.3V output.
    I only tested on a D1 mini pro, but the D1 mini V2 use the same RT9013 (3.3V, 500mA) regulator so should not matter.

• Hardware Contributor

Wow, thank you very much !
    I was planning to do a similar board (for D1 mini pro and nrf24 PA/lna SMD) and you are saving me lot of time.
    Possibility to solder rfm is a nice extra for when I'll want to switch to a better radio type.

Too bad my NRF orders (standard SMD and pa/lna SMD) have both disappeared the same day 2 months ago just after they passed the Chinese customs 😞

Great job, and great write-up too! 👍 I like how you included many different radio module options onto a single shield and that the shields are stackable, so that you can "have it all" on one gateway if you wish. That makes for a nice modular approach and a good use for any extra boards that come from the fab.

How well do the YJ-13039 modules (i.e. the amplified, high-powered version of the NRF24L01+ SMD module with the chip antenna) work? Prior to your post, I didn't know that a surface mount module of that kind even existed. It sounds quite promising! How does its range compare to the rfm69 as well as to the reglar NRF24L01+?

• Hardware Contributor

@Nca78 said:

Too bad my NRF orders (standard SMD and pa/lna SMD) have both disappeared the same day 2 months ago just after they passed the Chinese customs 😞

I had the same problem with my order of RFM modules and push buttons, took forever to be able to assemble everything for testing and taking pictures. I guess 2 months ago they were sending a lot of stuff out to be ready for Christmas in stores.

@NeverDie said:

I like how you included many different radio module options onto a single shield and that the shields are stackable, so that you can "have it all" on one gateway if you wish.

I may be wrong, or did not understand you correctly, but I don't think you can "have it all" on a single gateway. You can have 4 different gateway if you want (3xRFM69 with different frequencies + NRF24) but you can't stack different radios on the same arduino/esp. But yes definitively a way to use the extra boards you get from the fab house. You can also use the WeMos as a node/repeater and ignore/disable WiFi or even better add a WiFi layer to do something else (direct http api, remote serial monitoring, webpage to update firmware, etc...). I don't really know how to do that, but I'm sure some smart people do. On a WeMos you don't have a lot of pins left when the radio is plugged, but it should be enough for many projects.

How well do the YJ-13039 modules (i.e. the amplified, high-powered version of the NRF24L01+ SMD module with the chip antenna) work? Prior to your post, I didn't know that a surface mount module of that kind even existed. It sounds quite promising! How does its range compare to the rfm69 as well as to the reglar NRF24L01+?

These PA+LNA SMD module work nicely. I have one of these on my current GW https://www.openhardware.io/view/116/MySRaspiGW-PALNA and so far no complaints. I really like these NRF SMD modules (regular and PA) as they fit under a pro-mini between its headers. It allows you to have a very compact device when assembled.

Range wise, no idea. A regular NRF is already enough to cover my whole (small) apartment with cardboard walls (they don't really know what insulation is in California...). Until 2 days ago I never had / tested a RFM radio so no idea either. But maybe someone else did some tests with these modules? Else if you do let me know how it goes.

@emc2
    Thanks. I just now ordered some of those PA+LNA SMD modules, using the link you provided in your BOM. Ironically, they cost more than the RFM69HW modules, but I thought it's worth a try anyhow.

• I did also receive all parts today and did solder an NRF24L01+PA+LNA WiFi Gateway. Everything runs fine from the beginning. Thanks.

• Did you test this module with a RFM69HW module?
    I don't get a connection between two modules.
    I did solder all pads of the RFM69 but I don't think this should cause me problem.

• Hardware Contributor

Yes and no.

I tried with a RFM69 and I did not got any errors / complains on the serial log, but I do not have any other RFM devices to test with (still waiting for radio modules, probably lost again...)

• Thank you for the feedback.

I'm getting closer to a "solution".
    I did try an other library for the communication to an RFM69 and I can read the internal temperature and the register values. So the wiring of the chip is correct.

Now I have to find out why MySensors has problems.

• Hardware Contributor

I answered to your other topic, but I think that's because you are not defining the IRQ and CS pins in your sketch.

Have a try by using the provided sketch on the Gateway, or define the pins on yours, it should hopefully fix your problem.

• Could you solve the problem that the gateway is not working with the RFM69? Is it related to the MySensors library and the ESP?

• Hardware Contributor

I think I did.
    Could you test by making sure you add / have the following lines in your sketch:

#define MY_RF69_IRQ_PIN D2  // GPIO 4
    #define MY_RF69_IRQ_NUM D2  // GPIO 4
    #define MY_RF69_SPI_CS  D8  // GPIO 15

It seems that the automatic definition of MY_RF69_IRQ_NUM was not working properly (I think on esp8266 platform it was supposed to be automatically defined as equal to MY_RF69_IRQ_PIN but I guess it was not the case)

Right now I have it working, both gateway and sensor compiled with MySensors 2.1.1.

I updated the default sketch, adding the missing line, and it's now available on github.

Let me know how it goes for you.

• Hardware Contributor

@gloob Did you had time to test on your side and can confirm that everything is working correctly?

• Currently I don't have a WeMos to test everything. I will come back to thins topic once I receive my WeMos from china. But you solution sounds good to me, as I did test the PCB with some other software and it was working without any problems. So it must be a problem related to the configuration and not to the wiring of the PCB itself.

• Hardware Contributor

Hello, I just ordered from PCBs.io.
    Thank you for the design @emc2 !

• Ok, this is a really stupid question but how do I use this with for example Domoticz? Do I still need to connect it to the usb-port or do I connect using MQTT or some other way?

• Mod

@Cliff-Karlsson add it as an MySensors ethernet gateway.

• Ok, I just soldered two of the shield using smd nrf-radios but I only got alot of errors from the serial monitor. Also the boards got hot as hell after a minute. The wemos was really hot and the nrf was untuchable.

I through that had done something wrong with the first shield so I soldered another but it was also as hot as the first.

And should I enter the SSID and password for my home wifi-network or should I use the sketch to create a new? I tried both with no success as I got some default network called aitinker or similar both times.

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to MySensors Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.