💬 Very narrow and minimal switch node

• Admin

:thumbsup:

Really nice @GertSanders!

• Contest Winner

Just a friendly reminder that you need to include the required files as specified in the CERN license howto for the license to actually be valid. Nothing "illegal" about it, but you are currently not "protected".

• please write detail of how to use and what is actually function of this device.

• @jemish if I understand right, as he says in description, it's intended for connecting 2 binary switch - for example:

• two magnetic switch or
    • one magnetic switch in combination with PIR sensor

For use in let's say in security system for a true detection that someone is present.

If in the future another sensor is connected, you can update the node software over air.

Please correct me if understand this wrong.

Otherwise @GeartSanders great job as alway. I have order your battery based (no SMD) node pcb and received them yesterday. Now the fun (soldering) begins:)

• Hardware Contributor

@Anticimex made an effort :-) not sure this is sufficient.

@jemish read the Description on OpenHardware.io I have tried to be complete.

@gyro You can not update the node over the air. It is too simple for that (it lacks the proper boot loader and flash memory for that). But simple nodes have their uses too, I do love my minions :-) Have fun with the soldering !

• Contest Winner

@GertSanders To be really strict, you also need "Licensed under CERN OHL v.1.2” on your silk or visible copper layer as specified in the howto. Obviously that might be difficult on your board :) but that is what the howto says. But I will leave it to you to decide which license to use. If you don't really care, you can always choose to skip a license alltogether :)

• Hardware Contributor

This thred is getting off topic... but
    @Anticimex You have probably seen the FAQ for Cern, but there is a question about the Cern on silk.

"So to summarise, adding the licence notice is not a requirement, but as licensor, it is one of the best ways to make it known that the hardware is Open (Source) Hardware since it may well get ‘separated’ from the Documentation in its life. The licensee does not have to add the notice on the silkscreen, however if the licensor has put it there, he may not remove it."

• Contest Winner

@sundberg84 Good point. I did not see that in the faq I read. But that's great news for those who already did tape-out.
    As for the changes.txt, I just do a git log > changes.txt to generate it from the git history.

• Hardware Contributor

Yes - like me :)

• Very good job !!

I saw that you provide a bootloader. What specificities ?

Other (very selfish) question: next version of your not will be compatible with RFM69HW ?? ;)

David.

• Hardware Contributor

@carlierd The only specific thing about the boot loader is that it flashes the LED on pin D8 when starting up and it expects a transfer rate of 78600 when uploading sketches. Apart from that it is standard Optiboot 6.2 for operation at 8Mhz.

I only have and use NRF24L01+, so RFM69HW is not in my plans or tests for the moment.

Update: 15-FEB-2016
    The original boot loader was wrongly compiled for 4MHz, so when you try to upload at 38400, it will fail. Uploading the boot loader at 76800 when running at 8MHz will work, but timing in the sketches will be twice as short as expected.

I replaced the original boot loader with a version compiled for 8MHz and upload speeds of 38400.

I also added a second boot loader (for version v1-1) which is made for 8Mhz operation and upload speeds of 38400. This second boot loader flashes LED on pin D6.

• @GertSanders I will try to modify your design to replace the NRF with a RFM69. Thanks.

• Hardware Contributor

Updated the design files with version 1-1. Explanation of what this version does will follow later (not that much more, but I2C extension is now an option).

• Very nice! It would be perfect if it would get an atsha204a and a flash module.
    Greets Eddie

• Hardware Contributor

@meddie not sure that would even fit on the board, have you seen the size?

• @GertSanders
    the PCB must be a little bit longer. But the two chips are not big. The ATSHA201A is very small its a 3 PIN smd chip, and the flash chip is 8 pin.

• Hardware Contributor

@meddie I try to stay within the 50mm length limit, so that we can have the boards produced in a 50x50 format. Making it longer means we need to go to a 100x100mm format, and that makes it more costly (not necessarily per board, but some people do not need +50 sensor boards).

At the moment we get 5 of these nodes within the 50x50mm limit, so a prototype run already produces 50 boards.

Anyway, I'm not exscluding this idea, I just do not have a need for it now. The minimal node is meant to be minimal, not a complete MySensors node. If you need that, there is always the Sensebender Micro (which has it all built in).

• @GertSanders I'm a fan of your boards. I have your 20x30mm board, AC/Capable 50x50mm board (my favorite) and now I ordered your v1.1 of your narrow board because you are agree my suggestion for I2C port with jumper ;)

• @GertSanders , 1 question, you have specified 1/8w resistor... did you know if 1/4w fit on narrow board ?

Looks like your connection to MySensors Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.